A Child's View

Members writing. Own works, using one's own characters. Short stories, poems, novels or parts there of

A Child's View

Postby Frecks » 08 Nov 2017, 09:58

THE HOSPITAL FOR WOUNDED SERVICEMEN – LONDON – 1917

Mary sat on the hard bench in the corridor outside the hospital ward trying hard not to cry as the panic rose inside her. Mary was 6 years old and she had come to the hospital with her Mother to visit her Father who had been sent home from France suffering from head wounds. This much she understood from hearing her Mother and Grandmother discussing the situation when she was lying in bed in the little flat above the grocer’s shop where she lived with her Mother and Grandmother. She had heard her Mother insisting that Mary would be taken to see her Father in hospital so that she could get used to seeing his injuries and scars before he came home. She could not imagine how bad her Father would look – she had seen other soldiers who had come home injured from France on the streets of London and some of them were terrifying to look at with awful scars.

When they had arrived at the hospital the Nurse in charge had tried to persuade her Mother to leave her outside the ward but her mother would not hear of it. Now the doors to the ward were opening and the waiting visitors were filing into the room. Mary’s mother stood up and clasped her by the hand and pulled the reluctant child into the room.

Mary hung her head and looked at the polished, tiled floor as they walked along the ward. She could hear some visitors greeting the patients with cheerful enthusiasm but she could also hear some of the men groaning and crying out.

At last her mother stopped by the side of one of the beds. Mary kept her head down as she heard her parents talking. It had been three years since she had last seen her father when he had left home to join the Army and she hardly remembered him but his voice sounded familiar now she heard it again.

After a few minutes Mary’s mother thrust her forward and said “Say hello to your Father Mary”. “Hello” Mary whispered quietly as she approached the bed and then she slowly raised her eyes and looked up at her father. His head was bandaged with an eye patch over one eye and his face was criss crossed with scars but he was smiling at her.

“Hello Princess” he said.
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

Re: A Child's View

Postby Kismet » 08 Nov 2017, 12:28

Nice vignette, Frecks. Is this something you have written for your writing class?
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: Cosy Witch Stories
Reading now: J S Fletcher 40 British Mysteries/Crime
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Postby kylie_koyote » 08 Nov 2017, 12:39

Nice job, Frecks!
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Sharpe's Tiger
Reading now: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby Fairblue » 08 Nov 2017, 13:39

I echo Kismet and KK, Frecks. A very touching subject.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading now: Darwin Spitfires - Anthony Cooper
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Starsign: Leo

Postby Frecks » 08 Nov 2017, 14:02

Yes I wrote it for my writing course. I like to write short pieces because we have to read them out to the class and if you go into too much detail everyone loses interest. We also do "Flash Writing" when the tutor gives you a phrase or starting sentence and you have ten minutes to write something and then you have to read it out :shock:
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Tommy Smith » 08 Nov 2017, 19:32

It is good, works very well.
"Spare my days! Who wants to be true to life? Why read about what you can see going on around you any day of the week?"
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Spitfire666 » 08 Nov 2017, 19:45

I like it, Frecks, thanks for sharing.
If there's one thing certain in this uncertain world it is that Algy won't go home without us.

http://wejas.org.uk
Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby Kismet » 09 Nov 2017, 00:32

Flash writing sounds very challenging. I think I'd get frustrated by not having enough time to get everything down and polished up grammatically. You should have no problem with the Challenge if you can Flash Write.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: Cosy Witch Stories
Reading now: J S Fletcher 40 British Mysteries/Crime
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Postby Fairblue » 09 Nov 2017, 01:40

I love Flash Writing because it is challenging. I used to be given a phrase and had to spend five minutes talking about it. On the spot,with no preparation. It was very good training.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading now: Darwin Spitfires - Anthony Cooper
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Starsign: Leo

Return to Writing in own style