The English School System

About the forum, Captain W.E. Johns and Biggles. Including samples of WEJ writing

Re: The English School System

Postby Kismet » 09 Mar 2017, 14:35

Fascinated as I am by the fish knives and social class connotations of eating kippers and sardines, I feel the need to return to exams.

In my day, there were two ways of getting into Oxford and Cambridge University. You could apply, be interviewed and successful candidates were made an offer: you would be accepted onto the course of your choice if you got three A grades in your A levels. The other way was to sit the Oxbridge exam, held considerably before the A level examinations. If you passed, you were accepted onto the course of your choice regardless of your A level results - essentially an unconditional offer - (although I believe you were expected to gain at least one E, for appearances).

Nowadays, you apply to an Oxford or Cambridge college, and acceptance is conditional both on A level results, an interview and an aptitude test for many courses.

Does anyone know of any current situations, where entrance is decided solely on an entrance exam, taking no account of academic qualifications?

I can think of the 11+ exam: pass and you can go to one of the remaining Grammar Schools, no other entry routes available. Any others?
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Cosy Witch Stories
Reading now: J S Fletcher 40 British Mysteries/Crime
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Postby Fairblue » 09 Mar 2017, 15:06

By exams, Kismet do you mean "a set of questions or exercises evaluating skill or knowledge" as opposed to a set of tests designed to find out if a person has the correct skills for a particular job? For example, the Government's National Career Service website states that to become a Prison Officer You don’t need any particular qualifications and one must:

.....take the online Prison Officer Selection Test (POST), which checks your numeracy skills.

If you pass, you'll attend an assessment day where you'll:

take another numeracy test (POST verification test)
complete a POST language test
take part in role plays to see if you have the right personal qualities for the job
complete fitness tests
have a medical and eyesight test

I assume you mean the former but thought I'd better check.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading now: Darwin Spitfires - Anthony Cooper
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Starsign: Leo
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby Kismet » 09 Mar 2017, 15:24

When does an exam become an aptitude test? I was thinking more along these lines:

The Young Professionals Programme (YPP) is a recruitment initiative for talented, highly qualified professionals to start a career as an international civil servant with the United Nations Secretariat. It consists of an entrance examination and professional development programmes once successful candidates start their career with the UN.

Who can apply?

The YPP examination is held once a year and is open to nationals of countries participating in the annual recruitment exercise. The list of participating countries is published annually and varies from year to year.

Basic application criteria:

You must have the nationality of a participating country.
You must hold at least a first-level university degree relevant for the exam subject you are applying for.
You must be 32 or younger in the year of the examination.
You must be fluent in either English or French.

But one of the application criteria is a relevant first degree, so it doesn't meet my criteria of entrance being decided solely on the entrance exam.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Cosy Witch Stories
Reading now: J S Fletcher 40 British Mysteries/Crime
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Previous

Return to About