Biggles and the Magic Hat

Re: Biggles and the Magic Hat

Postby Fairblue » 30 May 2015, 15:10

The hat was drawing them into its own world. Their thoughts became entwined with that of the hat.
Megan's words suddenly intruded itself into Biggles' mind.

"Trouble might be your middle name," she smiled. "Your potential for solving seemingly insurmountable problems has made you a magnet for those who see in you a powerful personality which can only add to their own." He struggled to concentrate.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Starsign: Leo
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby Kismet » 31 May 2015, 12:00

The dancing ended and they were led to yet another chamber. A single lamp cast a pool of light. There were phallic images and what they blushingly recognised as the the sacred feminine. A priestess indicated one and then the other, speaking in a language they didn't understand but using lots of gestures. Idly Biggles wondered how many of the initiates understood her language. Bertie suddenly realised what she was trying to tell them.

'Balance. It's all about balance between two opposing principles. Light and dark. Male and female. You can't have one without the other and both should be equal.'

The priestess smiled, dipped her finger into a jar and drew a symbol on each of their foreheads, carefully avoiding the mark already on Ginger's, then withdrew.

'Is that it?' asked Ginger.

Biggles was puzzled. The guidebook said the revelation was the end of the initiation into the first degree of the mysteries, but the hat was still anticipating more and his instinct for trouble was screaming at him.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: fantasy on Kindle Unlimited
Reading now: Patricia Wentworth
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Postby Fairblue » 31 May 2015, 12:33

Algy, he could see, seemed to be wholly under an hypnotic influence. He wondered whether, by bringing the hat here, that would have fulfilled their destiny and this initiaion was to ensnare them. Could they just leave, leaving the hat, he pondered?
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Kismet » 31 May 2015, 13:00

Something was going to happen. He could feel it, taste it. It wasn't time to leave the hat yet. He recalled what Megan had read in the tea leaves. Algy was insight, he was a trouble magnet. Bertie was about the material and the spiritual. Ginger. Ginger had had secrets, a difficult but achievable goal.

'What do we do next, Ginger?' he asked.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Fairblue » 31 May 2015, 13:36

Ginger tried to think. Secrets, he had secrets. He had turned his life around, turned his life around, turned his ........suddenly he knew. "All this... They think we want to stay with it. To have a more spiritual life, a better life. Algy has to let the hat go. He has to tell it to go."
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Kismet » 31 May 2015, 14:03

Algy spoke in a slurred voice. 'Letting go. That's the next step. The contemplation.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Fairblue » 31 May 2015, 14:25

Letting go? Biggles struggled to think. Letting go of the hat or his present life? "Let the hat go, Algy, let the hat go." He managed to call.
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Kismet » 31 May 2015, 14:38

The hat became agitated. They weren't following the ritual. Biggles tried to work out if that was a good thing or a bad thing. He wished Hecate would tell them what she wanted them to do with the hat.

A priestess arrived.

'You dare to summon Hecate in her own sanctuary without recourse to her priestesses?' she said incredulously. Biggles recognised that the trouble he'd been feeling had now arrived.
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Fairblue » 31 May 2015, 17:53

"We're new here," was the first thing that sprang to Biggles' tongue.
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Kismet » 31 May 2015, 18:00

The priestess dropped to her knees and began an invocation to summon Hecate. The hat recognised the chant and became terribly overexcited. The men clutched their heads and each other trying to hold onto reality.
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Fairblue » 31 May 2015, 18:15

Biggles suddenly remembered the potion given to him by Megan. Maybe if they couldn't sense his thoughts it might break the spell. He reached for the jar. The images in his head became more colourful and beckoning. The noise seemed to rise to a crescendo. With an effort he opened the jar, raised it to his lips and took a sip.
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Kismet » 31 May 2015, 18:32

There was a cool silence. Biggles felt a presence and turned to look into the face of the goddess. The hat was hysterically happy. The small part of Biggles's mind that was still working reflected that he should have given the potion to the hat. It was the hat's thoughts that needed shielding rather than his own. He bowed politely in Hecate's direction, wondering how he should address her.
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Fairblue » 31 May 2015, 18:37

She addressed him. Or rather her thoughts flowed through his head. He felt no threat, but a slight puzzlement as if she were trying to fathom him out.
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Kismet » 31 May 2015, 18:41

Biggles realised that his thoughts were shielded just at the time when he needed to have them open.

'Goddess, we've brought you your hat,' he explained.
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby kylie_koyote » 31 May 2015, 19:08

"Thanks," she replied in rather anticlimactic fashion.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger

Postby Fairblue » 31 May 2015, 19:53

"We would like to go home now."
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Kismet » 31 May 2015, 20:13

The goddess was puzzled by this. How could these creatures have a home? It was the ambition of every creature to be chosen to serve.
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Fairblue » 31 May 2015, 20:16

She said as much to Biggles. He tried to put it into words. "We do not belong here. We only brought the hat back at it's request. We have another life."
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Kismet » 31 May 2015, 23:39

Again the goddess was puzzled. Obviously they had a life. How else could they serve her in this realm?
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Fairblue » 31 May 2015, 23:43

"We serve another," Biggles replied, trying to keep a grasp on reality. "We do his bidding."
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Kismet » 01 Jun 2015, 00:10

The goddess tried to ascertain which other deity they served to see if she could arrange a transfer to her own service. Concepts of service, duty, honour and country were exchanged, with mutual incomprehension.
Finally Ginger, sweeping his hair back from his forehead, revealed Megan's mark.
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Fairblue » 01 Jun 2015, 00:29

The goddess, who so far, had been conversing with Biggles turned her attention to Ginger. Her voice echoed inside his head and he frowned in an effort to speak, to tell her what she wanted to know.
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Kismet » 01 Jun 2015, 12:19

His thoughts weren't shielded, though, so the goddess could read them. It didn't seem to help her. The hat sent images of all it had recently experienced to the goddess, to help her fathom what was happening. That didn't seem to help either.
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Fairblue » 01 Jun 2015, 19:12

"You do not wish to remain here?" she asked at last, puzzled.
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Kismet » 01 Jun 2015, 19:26

'No,' said Biggles relieved. 'We belong elsewhere.'

'Where?' the goddess wanted to know.

Biggles thought of London, his clubs, the airports, the restaurants and his flat. Abruptly they were all in the Mount St flat, including the goddess and the hat.
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Fairblue » 01 Jun 2015, 19:47

The goddess stared. Then suddenly she knelt on her knees in front of Biggles, her hands in a gesture of supplication.
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Kismet » 01 Jun 2015, 20:53

This made Biggles very uncomfortable. '

'Get Megan here,' he instructed Bertie.
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Fairblue » 01 Jun 2015, 21:03

There was an awkward interval while Bertie went to collect Megan. Biggles asked Hecate to stand, then to sit. She refused and capped it all by prostrating herself in front of him.
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Kismet » 01 Jun 2015, 22:16

To fill the awkward silence, Biggles turned the TV on. It was time for the News.

Hecate looked to see where the noise was coming from, and with a cry prostrated herself again.
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Fairblue » 01 Jun 2015, 22:22

It seemed ages before Bertie returned with Megan. Biggles had tried in vain to get Hecate to at least sit up but every time she did so, something happened to send her horizontal again. Once it was when Biggles lit a cigarette, then when Algy turned the light on.
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

PreviousNext

Return to Old RPGs