Biggles and the Magic Hat

Re: Biggles and the Magic Hat

Postby Kismet » 01 Jun 2015, 22:27

Megan took in the situation with one incredulous glance.

'Trouble doesn't begin to describe this,' she hissed at Biggles, before prostrating herself on the floor in front of Hecate and beginning a formal prayer to her.

Biggles moved towards the window to make room for her. There wasn't that much floor space in the flat and two tall women lying full length took up most of it.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: fantasy on Kindle Unlimited
Reading now: Patricia Wentworth
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Postby Fairblue » 01 Jun 2015, 22:43

Time seemed to stand still. The four airmen held their breaths. The hat was at Hecate's feet. Biggles suddenly realised he had sensed nothing from the hat since they arrived back at the flat.

Finally, Megan rose and Hecate also raised herself up, but merely to kneel at Biggles' feet.

Megan cast a look at her and then motioned to Biggles to follow her into the kitchen.

'Well," he asked, when she finally turned to him. "What is all that about? Why can she not just go back to her temple?"
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Starsign: Leo
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby Kismet » 01 Jun 2015, 22:58

She is envious of your powers and wishes to serve you to acquire some of them,' Megan explained.

Biggles blenched.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Fairblue » 01 Jun 2015, 23:12

"My powers?" he echoed, trying to buy some time to think.

"Since you appear to have brought her here to your temple you are evidently a most powerful God," Megan continued. "Really, have you any idea what you have done?"
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Kismet » 01 Jun 2015, 23:16

It was a rhetorical question but Biggles shook his head anyway. 'Can you explain it to her?' he asked hopefully.
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Fairblue » 01 Jun 2015, 23:28

The sudden sound of keening took them hurriedly back to the living room. The hat flew at Biggles and settled on his head. Hecate followed the hat's path and appeared to grow dim and opaque.
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Kismet » 01 Jun 2015, 23:32

Biggles tried to remove the hat but it squeezed tight and bit at his fingers.
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Fairblue » 01 Jun 2015, 23:33

"It's attached itself to you,"Megan replied calmly. "It no longer offers allegiance to Hecate."
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Kismet » 01 Jun 2015, 23:40

Biggles swallowed some more of the potion that shielded his thoughts from Hecate and passed the bottle round.

'How do we get out of this one?' he asked plaintively. 'If we offer allegiance to Hecate we go off to serve her. If we don't, she serves us!'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Fairblue » 02 Jun 2015, 00:04

The latter is the safer bet" Megan acknowledged, "but a trifle difficult to explain at parties."
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Kismet » 02 Jun 2015, 11:57

'Could you take her?' Biggles asked. 'After all, you are a witch.'

'My husband wouldn't like it,' Megan replied firmly.
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Fairblue » 02 Jun 2015, 13:27

"How about if we accept her allegiance but order her to return to her own place to carry on her good work?"
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Kismet » 02 Jun 2015, 13:53

'We don't want her too active,' Megan pointed out. 'It's more tradition that we pray to her than any real desire to have her involved in our affairs. The time for gods and goddesses walking the earth is over.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Fairblue » 02 Jun 2015, 13:58

"Then we'll just tell her to go back and just er...well, maintain the status quo, or however you wish to put it. Whatever happens, I don't want her in charge of us, or anyone else, for that matter."
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Kismet » 02 Jun 2015, 14:02

'You'll have to take her.' Megan gnawed her lower lip. 'You'll need to give her gifts, first. Let me inspect your bathroom.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Fairblue » 02 Jun 2015, 14:36

"Take her? Why can't the hat take her back on it's own?"
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Kismet » 02 Jun 2015, 15:25

'The hat works for you, now.' Megan reminded him. 'Let me see what you've got that we can use for a cleansing and then we can work things out.'

'After all this is over, I'm not going to have a bath for a year,' Biggles threatened.
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Fairblue » 02 Jun 2015, 15:42

"I don't see why I can't just order the hat to take Hecate back and stay with her" announced Biggles as he followed Megan into the bathroom.
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Kismet » 02 Jun 2015, 15:45

' You could,' shrugged Megan ' But there's a right way to do things and a wrong way. That's wrong.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Fairblue » 02 Jun 2015, 17:34

"Why is it wrong?"
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Kismet » 02 Jun 2015, 18:05

'It would be like sending a child to a room to punish them, not because she has done anything wrong, but because you can't be bothered to deal with her. And she would brood and plot revenge for her hurt feelings. Read your classics to remind yourself of what Ancient Greek revenges were like.'

Biggles didn't need to re-read them. He had a perfectly good memory and the graphic nature of their revenges had haunted him when at school.
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Fairblue » 02 Jun 2015, 18:47

"I don't see it like that," he told her. "She simply doesn't belong here any more than I belong in her world and quite frankly she should know it. I am not taking anything away from her, she would still be as powerful as she is now. But," he sighed, " have it your own way."
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Kismet » 02 Jun 2015, 19:05

Megan rolled her eyes. She didn't say 'Men!' but she thought it. Biggles distinctly heard her thinking it.

Megan inspected the contents of their bathroom and then their bedrooms, rolled her eyes again, rolled the carpet up in the living room, drew a summoning circle upon the floor boards. Various items started to appear in it.
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Fairblue » 02 Jun 2015, 23:05

By mutual consent, no one spoke. Biggles fervently hoped Mrs Symes would not walk in just now. He looked at his watch. It had stopped. The hat supplied the information.
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Kismet » 02 Jun 2015, 23:49

It was an hour from dusk.

Megan switched the shower over the bath on and made everybody rinse away all the residual traces of magic before passing them a big fluffy pink towel each that she'd summoned.

Hecate was very interested in the shower. Biggles drew her a diagram explaining how it worked. The hat leaned right over as he did so, its tip by his nose.

Hecate was also fascinated by his propelling pencil. Biggles took it apart to show her how it worked. The hat's tip was nearly level with his chin.
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Fairblue » 03 Jun 2015, 00:00

Hecate was enhanced by Megan's perfume and the men's aftershave. In her world such a state could only be achieved by a lot of hard work. Biggles pulled Megan to one side after taking a small sip of the potion. "For goodness sake," he hissed. "Let's show her something she won't like. Otherwise she'll never want to go back."
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Kismet » 03 Jun 2015, 00:04

'Give her enough wonders and she'll want to go back, to boast of them. It's more fun being top dog than bottom of the pecking order,' Megan replied calmly. 'Try showing her a match next.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Fairblue » 03 Jun 2015, 00:06

Biggles, much struck by this point of view, did as he was told. He then followed it up by offering Hecate some chocolate."She won't be able to return, will she?" he asked anxiously as Hecate devoured the chocolate creme egg Ginger thought no one had known the location of.
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Kismet » 03 Jun 2015, 00:13

Hecate's eyes grew wide as she tasted the chocolate and she wrapped herself around Biggles's feet, crying out in an ancient tongue as she did so.

'Truely you are the Chief of the gods for possessing such a substance. It is to ambrosia as ambrosia is to burnt porridge,' Megan translated drily.
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Fairblue » 03 Jun 2015, 00:24

"Hey, that was my egg," Ginger cried. No one took any notice of him.
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

PreviousNext

Return to Old RPGs