Biggles Makes a Film

Re: Biggles Makes a Film

Postby J349 » 13 May 2016, 17:15

The row soon abated, once a spare copy of the script was produced by an assistant, and the Admiral was attired in a pair of rather baggy pantaloons, left over from a 15th century drama, which was all that Perky could spare.
It was then suggested that the introductions were continued later and that Mr Bigglesworth was shown some of the aircraft hired for the film. The group headed outside the studio, to a car-park made available for the storage of several antiquated aircraft, that would be used for the film. The prop manager was nowhere to be seen, so Admiral Dudley took charge, starting-up the engine of an old biplane, having invited Biggles into the cockpit. Unfortunately, little thought was given to his second cup of coffee, which had been placed on the ground and was blown over in the slipstream of the aircraft.
Petroffsky beamed. 'Now you may be certain of seeing me soon,' he declared. 'Au revoir. Remember, my rifle is at your command.'
'And my chocolate is at yours,' returned Biggles, smiling. 'Goodbye for now.'
Biggles Gets His Men.
J349
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Reading now: A list of books longer than your arm
My top chap: Biggles

Postby Fairblue » 13 May 2016, 17:38

This went over Cateran's Italian hand-made shoes.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Starsign: Leo
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby archie » 13 May 2016, 19:01

Which would have pleased the Italian who hand made them, being less of an insult to his craft than the owner of the feet they currently adorned was. Unfortunately, Cateran did not see things the same way. He went into an explosive rant. Biggles learned some new words, none of which he thought should have been uttered in front of the ladies.
archie
Flying officer
Flying officer

My top chap: That would be favouritism...

Postby kylie_koyote » 13 May 2016, 19:51

Pippin seemed unfazed, which told Biggles this sort of thing happened all too frequently.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger

Postby Fairblue » 13 May 2016, 19:59

Perky seemed a little upset and a red flush appeared on her face when Cateran took off his shoes, handed them to her and told her to get them cleaned and properly too.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby kylie_koyote » 13 May 2016, 20:38

But this meant that everyone saw how his big toe poked through the front of his argyle socks and, while everyone pretended not to notice, they all found it hysterical.

Pippin helped Perky with the shoes and promised to find the nice chap from wardrobe to get him some new shoes to wear.

Pippin decided she would ask for cowboy boot sandals, as there can be no more ridiculous looking footwear in all the world.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby kylie_koyote » 13 May 2016, 20:40

(For those who have been lucky enough not to have seen these:

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/7602308)
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby J349 » 13 May 2016, 21:18

:lol: good grief!

Perky and Pippin soon returned with the rather unlikely but nonetheless dapper-looking boots (and a note from the proud owner of said boots, to be 'jolly careful' with them).
After they had been fitted, Admiral Dudley suggested that Perky and Pippin fetch Mr Bigglesworth another cup of coffee. He also gave a rather off-handed and saucy attempt to lay the blame for the mishap on Hamlet Ramsgreave.

Dudley then suggested that they take a look at one of the sets built for the film, including the barrage balloon which had been set-up for a particular scene, where, at half-past four that day, the lead actor was due to bravely rescue the lead actress from imminent disaster, against seemingly insurmountable odds.
Petroffsky beamed. 'Now you may be certain of seeing me soon,' he declared. 'Au revoir. Remember, my rifle is at your command.'
Biggles Gets His Men.
J349
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Postby Kismet » 15 May 2016, 13:10

Biggles looked at the barrage balloon. He'd mostly seen them from the air so it was of interest for him to see one at close quarters whilst not under fire. A puzzled frown came to his face.

'Hi,' he called. 'You need some more tethers here otherwise your balloon is going to go up with the first breath of wind.'

There was consternation, and, of more interest to Biggles, an undercurrent of something else. He rather thought that, whilst there was surprise at the balloon wasn't properly restrained, there wasn't surprise at something having happened.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: fantasy on Kindle Unlimited
Reading now: Patricia Wentworth
Starsign: Capricorn

Postby J349 » 17 May 2016, 18:50

Biggles forgot all these thoughts and his new cup of coffee (which had just been handed to him), as with a sudden gust of wind, the balloon strained at its inadequate moorings. Then with a sudden whoosh, the tethers snapped and the balloon shot off into the sky.
Admiral Dudley, who was nearest, dived at the basket, gripping on to the edge. Simulatenously Biggles jumped, catching hold of a trailing cord. "Talk about déjà vu," was his unspoken thought, as they took off, rising rapidly; the force nearly wrenching his arms from their sockets. He felt a hand clutching desperately at his boot, pulling him downwards.
Biggles Gets His Men.
J349
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Postby Kismet » 18 May 2016, 23:54

Admiral Dudley managed to get his leg up onto the edge of the basket, and from there was able to pull himself inside, and assist a bootless Biggles to safety.

'I hope you can fly one of these ships,' he told Biggles.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Fairblue » 19 May 2016, 00:18

"I'm better at shooting them down," Biggles confessed, automatically reaching for his cigarettes and then having second thoughts.
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby J349 » 24 May 2016, 22:58

Down below, Hamlet had ordered the camera crew to get shooting, this was valuable stunt footage that would please the directors no end.

As the balloon drifted upwards, Admiral Dudley began to feel terribly air-sick. Biggles fumbled around with the controls, to no avail, they were a vast array of buttons and levers, with no labels or instructions. The balloon was evidently a modern reproduction, and did not in the slightest way resemble any of the barrage-balloons he had come across previously.
Biggles felt something scratching at the side of the basket, and to his immense surprise, a hand appeared over the rim, slowly followed by another.
Biggles Gets His Men.
J349
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Postby Kismet » 24 May 2016, 23:10

He helped the hands into the basket, relieved that they turned out to be attached to a body in the normal way.
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby J349 » 04 Oct 2016, 15:21

With a sigh, the figure collapsed on the floor of the basket. "Strewth!" they exclaimed.

"Are you alright?" Biggles asked, recognising the face of the latest arrival but forgetting their name.
Biggles Gets His Men.
J349
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Postby J349 » 15 Jul 2017, 15:39

Well after more than a year up there, it seems Biggles is doomed to stay up in that balloon forever! :lol:
...and we'll never find out who it was that joined him on his journey :?
Biggles Gets His Men.
J349
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Postby Fairblue » 15 Jul 2017, 15:40

I rather think RL got in the way. It'll be revived, but some revision is in order.
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Kismet » 15 Jul 2017, 15:57

I think we might have to play this as an ordinary rpg from this point onwards. Any one got any thoughts or alternatives?
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Fairblue » 15 Jul 2017, 16:00

I like 'interactive' games but it takes only one to have to drop out for a while for it to fall apart. I'm happy with it as a normal RPG or staying as it is.
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby elderlyfemalerelativ » 15 Jul 2017, 16:28

Only just noticed this, so

Cat Mason ( the family weren't into fancy names, and besides, most of the names our old tom were called* aren't really suitable for a family website).

Cat is an ex-Bond girl type, but not quite as young as she'd like you to think.

Cat stood and watched the balloon. "Interesting" she thought "The strong silent type. He could be a welcome change"

*especially the owners of other male cats who'd prefered theirs to have both ears, or, of course, the owners of female cats. Just about everyone, in fact
elderlyfemalerelativ
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Reading last: Benson's collected ghost stories
Reading now: Reading again the Patrick O'Brien sea stories
My top chap: Algy

Postby Kismet » 09 Jan 2018, 14:19

The relaunch of Biggles makes a film. Anyone can post using any of the characters. So far we have:
Hamlet Ramsgreave. Studio Manager. Single minded and doesn't pay attention to any viewpoints other than his own.

Pippin Crestland. Hamlet's executive assistant, shy and a bit nerdy, but very efficient. Has a bit of a complex from working with beautiful film stars all day long.

Perky Stanley, Wardrobe. Has a keen mind and eye but gets the feeling she's not being taken seriously because of her name and body shape. Has had offers to star in films her mother warned her against. She and Pippin have formed an alliance and watch each other's backs when Hamlet is being particularly obnoxious.

Tom Langley, total rotter

Duke Kalama, childhood friend of aforementioned hero, constantly living in his shadow and accidentally getting into trouble. Bombastic and a little dimwitted.

Admiral John Benbow Dudley, Director of photography. Has a history of being bullied and ignored, because of his small size. Consequently fussy, a bit posh and likes looking for fights (often with Hamlet Ramsgreave). -

David Cateran, supporting actor who thinks it's about time he was given a lead role (it isn't.) Drinks, and has a strange addiction to tea biscuits in addition. He would probably like to watch Perky in the films her mother warned her against.

Sparky Cameron, retired navy chief petty officer. Like Biggles, a consultant, but for the nautical scenes in the film. Gruff, lacking in refinement, and swears like a sailor (naturally), but honest and always ready to have a go at whatever task is at hand.

Cat Mason. Cat is an ex-Bond girl type, but not quite as young as she'd like you to think.
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Kismet » 09 Jan 2018, 14:23

J349 wrote:With a sigh, the figure collapsed on the floor of the basket. "Strewth!" they exclaimed.

"Are you alright?" Biggles asked, recognising the face of the latest arrival but forgetting their name.

'I think so,' the girl answered. 'I'm afraid I dropped your coffee.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Previous

Return to Old RPGs