Algy SIC

Section for Algy discussions

Algy SIC

Postby Inactive User 171 » 16 Apr 2014, 16:03

We have been talking about Ginger being dumbed down in another thread but Algy does not do much better in some ways. Although Algy is the same age as Biggles and has had very nearly as much experience it is very rare for him to be in charge and he does not progress from book to book - in some books he is left out altogether and in others he has a starring role.

My friend (a chap who is over 70 and has not read the books since he was a boy but remembers them well) says it all depended on what they were doing in the story but I do think WEJ wrote a lot of books to show Biggles off to his best and he did not always bother too much about the others.
Inactive User 171
-

Re: Algy SIC

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 16 Apr 2014, 16:09

Well, as someone else may have pointed out recently, Biggles after all was only an extension of WEJ's own persona or 'idealised' self, especially if you look at Biggles Learns to Fly [written 1935] & compare some of the events with the facts of WEJ's own training, detailed so well in By Jove: Biggles, the biography. Although, that was of course 33 yrs before he stopped writing, & Biggles was still at the forefront of his writing, even in 1968 I suppose.
Last edited by OzBiggles1963 on 16 Apr 2014, 16:15, edited 1 time in total.
They've been working together for so long that each seems to know by a sort of telepathy when another is in trouble. One never seems to get them together. Get one & the others come after him. To give the devil his due they make a formidable team.
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: Ginger Lacey: Fighter Pilot
Reading now: Danger UXB; The Little Prince
Reading next: History Of The Luftwaffe [1936-1945]
My top chap: J.C. Bigglesworth MC, DFC, DSO
Starsign: Scorpio
Aircraft: Supermarine Spitfire
Random: "Live long and prosper."

Postby Inactive User 171 » 16 Apr 2014, 16:13

Yes he was. I think WEJ really wrote the Biggles books about Biggles and the others were just there to form his backup team. Biggles can work things out where they cannot and he knows so much more than they do - wherever he goes he knows the local weather, local customs, what happened in that area in the recent and distant past and all about the wildlife etc. etc. Considering he was in the services for the same amount of time as Algy he knows a lot more ex RAF officers than Algy does.
Inactive User 171
-

Postby Kismet » 16 Apr 2014, 16:44

Maybe Algy has a life outside flying, unlike Biggles. He could have a dozen married sisters, nieces and nephews, pals at the tennis club.....
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: fantasy on Kindle Unlimited
Reading now: Patricia Wentworth
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Postby kylie_koyote » 16 Apr 2014, 17:12

Algy has got at least one friend who takes him yachting. A lady friend perchance? I hope so.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby Tommy Smith » 16 Apr 2014, 17:49

Given all the many times he wasn't in the group I shouldn't think he was home alone moping.
"Spare my days! Who wants to be true to life? Why read about what you can see going on around you any day of the week?"
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Inactive User 171 » 17 Apr 2014, 07:50

Algy may well have had a life outside the books but in the books Biggles has a much more prominent role and most of the time the books are written to show that Biggles is brighter, stronger and much better informed than the others however much experience they all gain over the course of the books.
Inactive User 171
-

Return to Algy