Best Algy moments

Section for Algy discussions

Re: Algy Fans

Postby AusterAutocrat » 10 Jun 2014, 15:30

Maybe... but I wouldn't have minded being on the lecture tour in Canada with him :D
‘Is Algy back?’
‘Yes; he was in the Mess having his dinner when I came out. He said something about not letting stray Huns interfere with his meals.’
‘He wouldn’t,’ replied Biggles bitterly.
AusterAutocrat
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Reading next: Biggles Defies the Swastika
My top chap: The Honourable A. M. Lacey
Starsign: Can I say 'Algy'? ;)
Aircraft: Guess...
Random: ACCOUNT TEMPORARILY INACTIVE

Postby Inactive User 171 » 10 Jun 2014, 15:38

Well yes that would have been good - you could have had him all to yourself ;)
Inactive User 171
-

Postby AusterAutocrat » 10 Jun 2014, 15:39

Jenny wrote:Well yes that would have been good - you could have had him all to yourself ;)

Doubt it - probably Soppy would have heard about it :lol:

Nice thought though :roll:
‘Is Algy back?’
‘Yes; he was in the Mess having his dinner when I came out. He said something about not letting stray Huns interfere with his meals.’
AusterAutocrat
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Postby kylie_koyote » 10 Jun 2014, 15:41

Kismet wrote:He went on a lecture tour in Canada...

Now there's fan fic potential!
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby Kismet » 10 Jun 2014, 15:56

kylie_koyote wrote:
Kismet wrote:He went on a lecture tour in Canada...

Now there's fan fic potential!

Are you feeling inspired? :think: :shifty: I can't see a hopeful face so here's thinking and shifty.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: fantasy on Kindle Unlimited
Reading now: Patricia Wentworth
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Postby kylie_koyote » 10 Jun 2014, 15:58

Hm. I've only ever been to Montreal, and that was just for a long weekend. I'm not sure I know that much about Canada to do it justice. If Algy had come here, on the other hand... I'm sure I could scrounge up something.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby Fairblue » 10 Jun 2014, 16:00

I gave it a brief thought and had a rough idea of where I wanted to go with it, but RL intervened, I wanted to finish the two I'd started posting and my Ginger fanfic keeps surfacing, among others so have decided to let it go.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Starsign: Leo

Postby Inactive User 171 » 10 Jun 2014, 16:03

Well I think it would be a good idea is someone did it. It would be completely new territory for the Forum. If there is not a hopeful smiley there is a :please:
Inactive User 171
-

Postby AusterAutocrat » 10 Jun 2014, 16:07

Yes, I second that. We should put forward a petition on a new thread, and first fanfic author come, first serve :)
‘Is Algy back?’
AusterAutocrat
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Postby Fairblue » 10 Jun 2014, 16:11

I'm definitely up for it , but time is agin me just now. I might do it in cooperation with someone else, otherwise you'll be waiting months between chapters.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby SaintedAunt » 10 Jun 2014, 18:12

Ideally, I think you need to know about a country to write convincingly about it. But if nobody knows the area… Just have to do the best you can.

I have to say the subject doesn't excite me - I mean the subject of lecturing in Canada, not Algy who is always exciting :) And there are no WEJ clues so it would be all make-believe.

By the way, was it really a lecture tour? I think that might be a bit grand for just going to Canada to deliver some lectures. Still as the whole thing has to be made up from start to finish I guess it matters not…

I'm definitely not keen unless you want to collaborate with me FB? Archie and I were good collaborators in The Peaceful Jungle, but then that was an entertaining situation.
The corners of Biggles' mouth twitched. "It's a sad thing to grow old without learning a thing or two." [Biggles Hunts Big Game]
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

Aircraft: Sopwith Camel

Postby Inactive User 171 » 10 Jun 2014, 18:17

I think a lot of the fan fics are mostly make believe but I do agree Canada is not an easy country to write about - possibly if it is all make believe we could make believe that Algy had been sent to AUSTRALIA to give a series of lectures ;)
Inactive User 171
-

Postby SaintedAunt » 10 Jun 2014, 18:19

Jenny wrote:I think a lot of the fan fics are mostly make believe but I do agree Canada is not an easy country to write about - possibly if it is all make believe we could make believe that Algy had been sent to AUSTRALIA to give a series of lectures ;)

In that case, one of our many Aussie members would have to write it - or a group of them :lol:

Have you thought of turning it into an RPG… ;)
The corners of Biggles' mouth twitched. "It's a sad thing to grow old without learning a thing or two." [Biggles Hunts Big Game]
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

Aircraft: Sopwith Camel

Postby AusterAutocrat » 10 Jun 2014, 18:23

SaintedAunt wrote:Have you thought of turning it into an RPG… ;)

You have such bright ideas, SA :)
I'd go along with that. :thumbup: Depends if you've all set your hearts on writing it, though, and killing everybody off before the other members can say anything :roll: :lol:
‘Is Algy back?’
AusterAutocrat
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Postby Kismet » 10 Jun 2014, 18:51

It could be an RPG as well as a story if anyone wanted to write it/them. They're not likely to overlap or spoil each other.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Fairblue » 10 Jun 2014, 19:06

SaintedAunt wrote:I'm definitely not keen unless you want to collaborate with me FB? Archie and I were good collaborators in The Peaceful Jungle, but then that was an entertaining situation.

I would collaborate with you SA, but this wouldn't be totally humourous. As you know, I find that difficult to do. I rather think, once the outline of the plot was sorted, we could find what we need to know. I have good friends in Canada whom I could pump for info, if necessary. On the other hand, it could be done on the lines of an RPG, but I personally wouldn't like it to descend into silliness. Someone could head that up and steer would-be writers into the appropriate direction. Anyway, those are my thoughts, open to further discussion?
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Inactive User 171 » 10 Jun 2014, 20:09

I think it could be very interesting to have a fan fic in a totally different country. I personally think we have enough funny RPGs going at the moment so something more serious would be a good contrast. Where was The Penitent Thief set - I think that was either Canada or in the Far North of America perhaps that would give some indication of how WEJ wrote about that area.
Inactive User 171
-

Postby Fairblue » 10 Jun 2014, 20:15

Jenny wrote:I think it could be very interesting to have a fan fic in a totally different country. I personally think we have enough funny RPGs going at the moment so something more serious would be a good contrast. Where was The Penitent Thief set - I think that was either Canada or in the Far North of America perhaps that would give some indication of how WEJ wrote about that area.

Good idea Jenny. Canada. And, of course, we have Flies North as well.
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Best Algy moments

Postby J349 » 17 Feb 2015, 22:03

Of all our team, Algy has some of the best moments, with his character, calmness and wicked sense of humour - even in the darkest situations. What are your favourite Algy moments?
I think some my favourites are when he's alone (or surprising his comrades):

Norway, Defies the Swastika: "[Biggles is cornered in a sticky situation, at an enemy aerodrome. Von Stalhein's car approaches] As the car drew level a head appeared at the window, and he saw that the driver wore a German uniform great-coat. 'Can I give you a lift?' said a calm voice, in English.
For a split second Biggles stood transfixed, his lips parted, his expression almost one of idiocy. Then he gulped and flung himself into the car. The driver was Algy. 'Where would you like to go, sir?' ".
There are lots of moments like this :P

Germany, & Co.:"[Landed in Germany, accosted by guards] 'Englander - ja?'
'Yes-oui-er-ja. English-ja,' nodded Algy vigorously.
Algy then gives his best impression of a flying machine and a demonstration of how he 'lost his passport.'

Dum Dum Airport, In the Terai: Algy is given a bottle of whisky. Not wanted to appear "churlish" (in his own words); as he doesn't like whisky, and to get rid of some of it - should he be asked how it tastes like; he chucks a load of it down a vase, full of flowers. Unbeknown to him, it was poisoned. And the flowers are dead in the morning. Lol, I can't see any of the other chaps doing that - except maybe Ginger?

Anyway, what are your favourite 'Algy moments'? maybe funny ones? or demonstrations of his fierce loyalty and comradeship?
Petroffsky beamed. 'Now you may be certain of seeing me soon,' he declared. 'Au revoir. Remember, my rifle is at your command.'
'And my chocolate is at yours,' returned Biggles, smiling. 'Goodbye for now.'
Biggles Gets His Men.
J349
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Reading now: A list of books longer than your arm

Re: Best Algy moments

Postby kylie_koyote » 17 Feb 2015, 22:06

The "Defies the Swastika" taxi-cab moment is one of my all-time favorites.

I really love the bit at the beginning of "In Africa" when they have their breakfast-table banter too.
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby J349 » 17 Feb 2015, 22:08

kylie_koyote wrote:I really love the bit at the beginning of "In Africa" when they have their breakfast-table banter too.

Ahh, that is one missing from my collection. I look forward to reading it :D
Petroffsky beamed. 'Now you may be certain of seeing me soon,' he declared. 'Au revoir. Remember, my rifle is at your command.'
'And my chocolate is at yours,' returned Biggles, smiling. 'Goodbye for now.'
Biggles Gets His Men.
J349
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Reading now: A list of books longer than your arm

Postby kylie_koyote » 17 Feb 2015, 22:13

J349 wrote:
kylie_koyote wrote:I really love the bit at the beginning of "In Africa" when they have their breakfast-table banter too.

Ahh, that is one missing from my collection. I look forward to reading it :D

Oh, it's absolutely priceless. Biggles complains about Algy and Ginger's tendency to sleep late in the mornings when there's nowhere to be. Then, you have Algy saying "I'm all ears" and Biggles sniping back "There's no need to advertise what anyone looking at you could hardly fail to see".

There's a reasonably priced one going on eBay at the moment: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BIGGLES-IN-AFRI ... 35e5408fd4
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby Fairblue » 17 Feb 2015, 22:13

One of my favourite Algy moment is in Works it Out when he stows away on a plane to save Bertie. The description of the fight in the aircraft with Canton is one of the best, to my mind.
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Frederique » 17 Feb 2015, 22:28

I LOVE THIS THREAD.

Well, it has been said more than once - by Soppy, I think? - that "every Algy moment is a good moment" (or something like that). I don't know where to start. :mrgreen: Literally everything Algy says or does in "Swastika" is either hysterically funny, impressively smooth or heart-warmingly loyal. The snakes-and-ladders joke makes me :roflhappy: every single time. Any sarcastic Algy-moment is perfect - the scene on the river in "Holiday" being a key example. Algy is so wonderful in "Baltic", too - when he names his plane, when he thinks Biggles has died, when he bombs the ship on which Biggles is held captive, when he and Biggles find each other again and they throw sarcastic comments at each other for what seems like the most perfect forever imaginable.

etc, etc, etc. :)

By the way, this topic is kind of similar (although it went :offtopichappy:): viewtopic.php?f=49&t=1057
"Where the dickens did you spring from?" he inquired.
"Oh, I was just hanging around, you know, in case I was wanted," returned Algy lightly.

Biggles Defies the Swastika
Frederique
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Postby Fairblue » 17 Feb 2015, 22:32

Frederique wrote:By the way, this topic is kind of similar (although it went :offtopichappy:): viewtopic.php?f=49&t=1057

Well spotted, Frederique. And because us Moderators like order I am going to amalgamate the two. You can then have all the Algy worship in one spot.
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby tiffinata » 17 Feb 2015, 22:37

I rather like it when Algy goes wild in 'Delivers the Goods'.
'....you cannot flout Nature with impunity. Treat Nature with respect, and she will tolerate you, even encourage you; but treat her with contempt, and your days are numbered.' Hits the Trail
tiffinata
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: probably something on facebook.
Reading now: about a dozen books at once.
Reading next: hmmm. too many to choose from. sigh.
Aircraft: Beaufighter and Pup.

Postby Kismet » 17 Feb 2015, 22:39

tiffinata wrote:I rather like it when Algy goes wild in 'Delivers the Goods'.

Yes. That's one of my favourites.

I'm also quite fond of the time he goes to an aution in Noble Lord.
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Spitfire666 » 18 Feb 2015, 10:32

tiffinata wrote:I rather like it when Algy goes wild in 'Delivers the Goods'.

That is my favourite. I think, why the Algy moments are so great is because they are Johns' best writing. Lots of marvellous moments in Takes Charge, and I love the opening dinner part scene in Hits the Trail.
If there's one thing certain in this uncertain world it is that Algy won't go home without us.

http://wejas.org.uk
Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Previous

Return to Algy