Why is Algy so popular with women?

Section for Algy discussions

Re: Why is Algy so popular with women?

Postby Frecks » 02 Sep 2015, 14:24

Why would Biggles know about ladies underwear? In Secret Agent it says they knew very few women - I suppose the Royal Aero Club etc. would have been exclusively male in the 1930s.
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

My top chap: Ginger
Starsign: Leo

Postby Kismet » 02 Sep 2015, 14:51

Frecks wrote:Why would Biggles know about ladies underwear? In Secret Agent it says they knew very few women - I suppose the Royal Aero Club etc. would have been exclusively male in the 1930s.

Why wouldn't he? He'd see adverts in newspapers which we know he reads (there's a reference to the papers in Sergeant Bigglesworth CID.) He'd see some in shops as he walks past or enters them to buy items for himself (not women's undies, men's things, just in the same shop). He might see them drying on a line He certainly glanced at a well thumbed racy magazine that pictured women in their undies in the 266 Mess.

Biggles knows about everything, however unlikely.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: fantasy on Kindle Unlimited
Reading now: Patricia Wentworth
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Postby kylie_koyote » 02 Sep 2015, 14:59

He goes to that cabaret show in "Biggles and the Joker". (Which has always struck me as slightly out of character, but whatever, he was 18 so I'll cut him some slack.)
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby Frecks » 02 Sep 2015, 15:02

I did not know about most of those instances and I must admit I am quite surprised that such things were mentioned in books aimed at teenage boys. Baden Powell would not have approved - a clean mind in a clean body was the order of the day for youngsters :lol:
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Kismet » 02 Sep 2015, 15:09

kylie_koyote wrote:He goes to that cabaret show in "Biggles and the Joker". (Which has always struck me as slightly out of character, but whatever, he was 18 so I'll cut him some slack.)

I'd forgotten about his visit to the Folies Bergeres looking for Algy, KK. Thanks for reminding me.

Not all the stories were aimed at teenage boys, Frecks. Some were aimed at an adult market. These are my favourites, as I like the greater variety and depth of character, relationships and situations.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Fairblue » 02 Sep 2015, 15:13

kylie_koyote wrote:He goes to that cabaret show in "Biggles and the Joker". (Which has always struck me as slightly out of character, but whatever, he was 18 so I'll cut him some slack.)

That's very kind of you, KK. :lol: But sometimes when you're away from home for any length of time you go to places you wouldn't normally go to. Either with your friends because you don't want to lose their company for the evening, or it's raining and you really can't stomach sitting in a cafe drinking one more cup of coffee, or because you really, really don't want to go back to the barracks just yet and anywhere's better than that.

When I was away on exercise once we had a precious day off. It poured with rain and the only entertainment offered was the cinema showing 'Rocky'. Definitely not my cup of tea but it offered respite for a while, so in I went.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?

Postby SopwithCamel » 02 Sep 2015, 17:20

Biggles The Joker? Is this a WWI story that I have somehow missed?
"Too true I did! What a wizard it was! I hooted like a coot in spite of the archie."
--Biggles Flies East

Updates on The Algy Chronicles: All Hallows' Eve posted.
SopwithCamel
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby Fairblue » 02 Sep 2015, 17:22

SopwithCamel wrote:Biggles The Joker? Is this a WWI story that I have somehow missed?

It's from Air Ace, Soppy.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby kylie_koyote » 02 Sep 2015, 17:23

SopwithCamel wrote:Biggles The Joker? Is this a WWI story that I have somehow missed?

It's in Air Ace, Soppy. I think the one where Algy goes missing and is prepared to tear Paris apart looking for him.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby SopwithCamel » 02 Sep 2015, 17:27

:evil:

I don't have it.
And now I want it.
"Too true I did! What a wizard it was! I hooted like a coot in spite of the archie."
--Biggles Flies East

Updates on The Algy Chronicles: All Hallows' Eve posted.
SopwithCamel
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby Frecks » 02 Sep 2015, 18:38

I think it has been mentioned before somewhere on the Forum - in fact the tearing Paris down until he found Algy was someone's signature a while ago.
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Kismet » 02 Sep 2015, 18:45

Sainted Aunt's I think, but I could be wrong.
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Fairblue » 02 Sep 2015, 19:34

Kismet wrote:Sainted Aunt's I think, but I could be wrong.

No, you are not wrong, Kismet. It was indeed SA's.
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby tiffinata » 02 Sep 2015, 21:20

Biggles would have seen the Army and Navy store catalogue which has pictures of various underwear with or without people.
He might have subscribed to various magazines and some of those might have featured advertising that we would consider inappropriate today. (a girl draped provocatively over a Bentley? )
'....you cannot flout Nature with impunity. Treat Nature with respect, and she will tolerate you, even encourage you; but treat her with contempt, and your days are numbered.' Hits the Trail
tiffinata
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: probably something on facebook.
Reading now: about a dozen books at once.
Reading next: hmmm. too many to choose from. sigh.
Aircraft: Beaufighter and Pup.

Postby 266 » 02 Sep 2015, 21:28

Frecks wrote:Why would Biggles know about ladies underwear? In Secret Agent it says they knew very few women - I suppose the Royal Aero Club etc. would have been exclusively male in the 1930s.

Let's not forget Beryl Markham, Amy Johnston, Jean Batten, Hilda Hewlett, Pauline Gower, the Hon. Mrs Victor Bruce (really) Lettice Curtis, Diane Walker and numerous others whose presence at the RAeC would have been welcomed. Though I imagine conversation was unlikely to be about underwear..unless regarding its thermal insulation properties at high altitude...maybe...
Zorotov: "We shall meet again."
Biggles: "If we do, the pleasure will be all yours."
Flying officer
Flying officer

Reading last: Biggles in the Underworld
Reading now: Classic Wings
Reading next: War of the Worlds
My top chap: WEJ - the founder of the feast
Aircraft: Concorde
Random: Ahhh....de Havilland....

Postby Spitfire666 » 03 Sep 2015, 10:23

266 wrote: Though I imagine conversation was unlikely to be about underwear..unless regarding its thermal insulation properties at high altitude...maybe...

:imao:
If there's one thing certain in this uncertain world it is that Algy won't go home without us.

http://wejas.org.uk
Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby Frecks » 03 Sep 2015, 10:27

Did Biggles meet any of these female aviators? Can anyone imagine him discussing thermal undies with Stella Carstairs?
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby tiffinata » 03 Sep 2015, 10:42

Best place to buy them?
Based on function rather than aesthetics. If they weren't available in women's styles men's would have to do!
'....you cannot flout Nature with impunity. Treat Nature with respect, and she will tolerate you, even encourage you; but treat her with contempt, and your days are numbered.' Hits the Trail
tiffinata
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Kismet » 03 Sep 2015, 11:10

Frecks wrote:Did Biggles meet any of these female aviators? Can anyone imagine him discussing thermal undies with Stella Carstairs?

Biggles spent some time on the sporting aerodromes where flying was a hobby and there were races, picnics etc. I remember finding out about it for another topic. Stella Carstairs says he's been pointed out to her at Brooklands (and Biggles says he hasn't noticed her). I presume that he met all of the female aviators

'In the 1920s and 30s hundreds more men and women learned to fly here too – notably with the Brooklands School of Flying and the Brooklands Flying Club. The latter’s fleet of de Havilland Gipsy and Tiger Moth biplanes, all in a distinctive red, black and silver colour scheme, are well remembered from this era.

The aerodrome also became a regular venue for air races, flying displays, dawn patrols, fly-ins and open days. A splendid Art Deco Brooklands Aero Clubhouse was designed by the young British airport architect Graham Dawbarn and opened in May 1932 as a lively new social centre for Brooklands aviators. The parent company, Brooklands Aviation Ltd, was led by the legendary Captain Duncan Davis and also operated flying clubs at Lympne, Shoreham and Sywell Aerodromes in the 1930s.'

http://www.brooklandsmuseum.com/index.p ... g-schools/
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby kylie_koyote » 03 Sep 2015, 11:12

Frecks wrote:Did Biggles meet any of these female aviators? Can anyone imagine him discussing thermal undies with Stella Carstairs?

I think he would be fine and not embarrassed on a purely technical/professional level.

Stella: In your experience, do you find that Brand A or Brand B keeps you the warmest at high altitude?
Biggles: Definitely Brand A. In fact, I know the manufacturer. Good scout. Fought with me in France.

On the other hand, if it was something like this, Biggles would be looking around frantically for the nearest exit.... (Tongue firmly in cheek)

Stella: Does this make my backside look big?
Biggles: Algy! Help!
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby Kismet » 03 Sep 2015, 11:19

I think if someone asked Biggles's advice on how to keep warm at altitude, he'd be delighted to tell them everything he knew, including what the bottom layer should consist of. It's flirting that he won't deal with.
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Frecks » 03 Sep 2015, 11:38

Very true :lol:
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby tiffinata » 03 Sep 2015, 22:23

Algy on the other hand...
tiffinata
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Frecks » 04 Sep 2015, 08:07

In reality underwear of any kind was not discussed very much at all in polite society in the 1920s/1930s. In Secret Agent it says they knew very few women so that does not sound as though they had much to do with the female aviators. In any case Biggles was supposed to have spent the whole of his life pining for Marie and not to be interested in women at all.
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby tiffinata » 04 Sep 2015, 08:41

It may not have been discussed over dinner, but it was advertised on the same page in manufacturer's catalogues. Sometimes there were pictures, but he would have been familiar with 'Braemar' and 'Pesco' brands from their one page ads for the company.

I feel if it was discussed in mixed company it would be an aviatrix who raised it first, and in a business-like manner.
tiffinata
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Tracer » 04 Sep 2015, 08:51

Surely they would all have worn their silk jimjams under their flying gear, as in the early Biggles books.
pilots who had done a long tour and had that thousand-yard stare W. E. Johns
Tracer
Squadron leader
Squadron leader

Postby Fairblue » 04 Sep 2015, 09:17

Tracer wrote:Surely they would all have worn their silk jimjams under their flying gear, as in the early Biggles books.

Highly likely, I imagine. Probably perfect for the job. As a natural fabric silk would have been an excellent insulator and would have been thin enough not to have been uncomfortable to wear under their uniforms.
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Frecks » 04 Sep 2015, 11:04

Yes we know Biggles wore a silk vest and I am sure the upper class ladies would wear silk undies.
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby elderlyfemalerelativ » 12 Sep 2015, 13:30

As a EFR, I can quit see why Algy's mom would be worried about him. And you can't express your worst fears easily, you can hardy write to his CO asking to make sure he doesn't get shop down in flames. So the little worries are easier. If a bit tactless to embarrass him by writing about it.
And as for the French minxes, a relative of mine caught something very nasty in WW1, I don't know if the carrier was French or not. Or even a minx.
elderlyfemalerelativ
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Reading last: Benson's collected ghost stories
Reading now: Reading again the Patrick O'Brien sea stories
My top chap: Algy

Postby Frecks » 12 Sep 2015, 14:12

Yes there were a lot of "minxes" in Paris during WW1. We have discussed on another thread that the troops were rotated away from the front line for respite and they seem to have got into all sorts of trouble.
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

Previous

Return to Algy