When was Algy sent to India?

Section for Algy discussions

When was Algy sent to India?

Postby Crazy Man Michael » 26 Feb 2014, 00:14

Just re-reading 'In The Terai'. My collection is still missing a few of the later titles, so anybody know in which book WEJ first mentions (if he does) that Algy has been seconded to the Indian Security Service?
Do you want to be a hero?
Crazy Man Michael
Flying officer
Flying officer

Re: When was Algy sent to India?

Postby SaintedAunt » 26 Feb 2014, 00:27

I am sure that he does mention it but I can't work out where unless it is in one of the short stories. Terai is preceded by The Plot that Failed and Scores a Bull, so logically it ought to be in one of them, but on a quick flick through, I couldn't find the reference. Yet I am sure there is a reference somewhere. The book before The Plot that Failed is Looks Back and Algy is in that - at least at the beginning. I suppose WEJ may have got things out of sequence…

Perhaps somebody will remember, so frustrating, but I am never so sure about the Air Police books because after the early ones I only like a few enough to keep re-reading them...
The corners of Biggles' mouth twitched. "It's a sad thing to grow old without learning a thing or two." [Biggles Hunts Big Game]
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn
Aircraft: Sopwith Camel

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 26 Feb 2014, 09:44

SaintedAunt wrote:I am sure that he does mention it but I can't work out where unless it is in one of the short stories. Terai is preceded by The Plot that Failed and Scores a Bull, so logically it ought to be in one of them, but on a quick flick through, I couldn't find the reference. Yet I am sure there is a reference somewhere. The book before The Plot that Failed is Looks Back and Algy is in that - at least at the beginning. I suppose WEJ may have got things out of sequence…Perhaps somebody will remember, so frustrating, but I am never so sure about the Air Police books because after the early ones I only like a few enough to keep re-reading them...

My memory is not great for these things [ :thinking2: ], but I thought they merely stated in the opening chapter of Terai that Algy had gone to India 'some months previously', or words to that effect.
They've been working together for so long that each seems to know by a sort of telepathy when another is in trouble. One never seems to get them together. Get one & the others come after him. To give the devil his due they make a formidable team.
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: Ginger Lacey: Fighter Pilot
Reading now: Danger UXB; The Little Prince
Reading next: History Of The Luftwaffe [1936-1945]
My top chap: J.C. Bigglesworth MC, DFC, DSO
Starsign: Scorpio
Aircraft: Supermarine Spitfire
Random: "Live long and prosper."

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 26 Feb 2014, 10:23

Hmmm...funnily enough I had the feeling that it was mentioned in one book prior to Terai that Algy was in India. But, as you mention OzB, it could be the reference in Terai that is sticking in my mind :thinking2:
RAAF Spitfire Girl
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: The Corners of the Globe (Robert Goddard)
Reading now: Enemy Coast Ahead
Reading next: Still a Tough decision!!
My top chap: Biggles, Biggles, and Biggles
Aircraft: Spitfire
Random: Walking Hadrian's Wall May 2017

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 26 Feb 2014, 11:00

RAAF Spitfire Girl wrote:Hmmm...funnily enough I had the feeling that it was mentioned in one book prior to Terai that Algy was in India. But, as you mention OzB, it could be the reference in Terai that is sticking in my mind :thinking2:

It would have been interesting though [& quite exciting] to actually read about [if WEJ had allowed us, lol] Algy's exploits, investigations, trials & tribulations in India, right up to his crash in the jungle.....a fanfic perchance entitled "Algy In India?". hehe :D
They've been working together for so long that each seems to know by a sort of telepathy when another is in trouble. One never seems to get them together. Get one & the others come after him. To give the devil his due they make a formidable team.
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby SopwithCamel » 26 Feb 2014, 11:53

OzBiggles1963 wrote:
RAAF Spitfire Girl wrote:Hmmm...funnily enough I had the feeling that it was mentioned in one book prior to Terai that Algy was in India. But, as you mention OzB, it could be the reference in Terai that is sticking in my mind :thinking2:

It would have been interesting though [& quite exciting] to actually read about [if WEJ had allowed us, lol] Algy's exploits, investigations, trials & tribulations in India, right up to his crash in the jungle.....a fanfic perchance entitled "Algy In India?". hehe :D

After SA's fantastic Letters, I had actually been thinking about digging up the box of letters Algy wrote to Biggles during his time in India...
"Too true I did! What a wizard it was! I hooted like a coot in spite of the archie."
--Biggles Flies East

Updates on The Algy Chronicles: All Hallows' Eve posted.
SopwithCamel
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby kylie_koyote » 26 Feb 2014, 12:17

Yes please!
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger

Postby Fairblue » 26 Feb 2014, 12:47

In Biggles Investigates (a Matter of Cooperation) Bertie tells Gaskin that "Algy is still in India". Could that be it RSG? But between Investigates and Terai you have a few books where Algy is clearly present - Looks Back and Blue Moon among others. A clear discrepancy and one I can't find an explanation for. :?
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Starsign: Leo

Postby kylie_koyote » 26 Feb 2014, 12:57

Maybe they weren't published in the order WEJ wrote them?
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 26 Feb 2014, 13:11

SopwithCamel wrote:
OzBiggles1963 wrote:...It would have been interesting though [& quite exciting] to actually read about [if WEJ had allowed us, lol] Algy's exploits, investigations, trials & tribulations in India, right up to his crash in the jungle.....a fanfic perchance entitled "Algy In India?". hehe :D
After SA's fantastic Letters, I had actually been thinking about digging up the box of letters Algy wrote to Biggles during his time in India...

Oh, what a treat that would be if you found them in a dusty old corner of the attic. :yay: :boing:
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby SopwithCamel » 26 Feb 2014, 13:21

OzBiggles1963 wrote:
SopwithCamel wrote:...It would have been interesting though [& quite exciting] to actually read about [if WEJ had allowed us, lol] Algy's exploits, investigations, trials & tribulations in India, right up to his crash in the jungle.....a fanfic perchance entitled "Algy In India?". hehe :D

OzBiggles1963 wrote:Oh, what a treat that would be if you found them in a dusty old corner of the attic. :yay: :boing:

Better make sure that SA doesn't actually have it first...
"Too true I did! What a wizard it was! I hooted like a coot in spite of the archie."
--Biggles Flies East

SopwithCamel
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby Spitfire666 » 26 Feb 2014, 17:17

SopwithCamel wrote:After SA's fantastic Letters, I had actually been thinking about digging up the box of letters Algy wrote to Biggles during his time in India...

:popcorn: :hellochap: :please:
If there's one thing certain in this uncertain world it is that Algy won't go home without us.

http://wejas.org.uk
Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby Fairblue » 26 Feb 2014, 21:07

Spitfire666 wrote:
SopwithCamel wrote:After SA's fantastic Letters, I had actually been thinking about digging up the box of letters Algy wrote to Biggles during his time in India...

:popcorn: :hellochap: :please:

If you have time to go rooting around in a fusty attic for those letters it would be great, SC. I'm sure your nose can sniff out anything of Algy's within a mile radius. ;)
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Starsign: Leo

Postby SaintedAunt » 26 Feb 2014, 21:14

Ah, I wondered where those had got to :) I might have known you had them :lol:

Looking forward to reading them :yay:
The corners of Biggles' mouth twitched. "It's a sad thing to grow old without learning a thing or two." [Biggles Hunts Big Game]
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby SaintedAunt » 26 Feb 2014, 21:17

Fairblue wrote:In Biggles Investigates (a Matter of Cooperation) Bertie tells Gaskin that "Algy is still in India". Could that be it RSG? But between Investigates and Terai you have a few books where Algy is clearly present - Looks Back and Blue Moon among others. A clear discrepancy and one I can't find an explanation for. :?

I think this might the occasion I mentioned at the start of this thread, and which I was looking for last night. I did pick up Investigates but couldn't face the tedium of going through every short story. Thanks FB. As to the other stories not fitting in the right order, well that's just typical WEJ isn't it. So often he wrote several books in a year which couldn't have helped.
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 27 Feb 2014, 02:26

Fairblue wrote:

In Biggles Investigates (a Matter of Cooperation) Bertie tells Gaskin that "Algy is still in India". Could that be it RSG? But between Investigates and Terai you have a few books where Algy is clearly present - Looks Back and Blue Moon among others. A clear discrepancy and one I can't find an explanation for. :?

Thanks, FB, I think that must be it. WEJ was not really very good at continuity at times... :roll:
RAAF Spitfire Girl
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Lycaea » 02 Mar 2014, 20:58

I thought about that last year, but never found my way up there ;) Hope you have better luck!

On topic, Algys visit to India is first mentioned in Plane that Disappeared (1963). In Investigates (1964), he's still in India (A Matter of Cooperation) except when he's on duty in the office at SY (The Case of the Amateur Yachtsmen). In between, he's sometimes with the others (for instance Looks Back and Plot that Failed), sometimes not mentioned and presumably still in India (for instance Black Mask and Scores a Bull).

One of the puzzles of Bigglesian 8-)
Last edited by Lycaea on 30 Mar 2014, 18:12, edited 1 time in total.
Lycaea
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby SaintedAunt » 02 Mar 2014, 23:24

Lycaea wrote: Algys visit to India is first mentioned in Plane that Disappeared (1963). In Investigates (1964), he's still in India (A Matter of Cooperation) except when he's on duty in the office at SY (The Case of the Amateur Yachtsmen). In between, he's sometimes in (for instance Looks Back and Plot that Failed), sometimes not mentioned and presumably still in India (for instance Black Mask and Scores a Bull)

Brilliant - thank you Lycaea :jollygood:
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 03 Mar 2014, 06:48

SaintedAunt wrote:
Lycaea wrote: Algys visit to India is first mentioned in Plane that Disappeared (1963). In Investigates (1964), he's still in India (A Matter of Cooperation) except when he's on duty in the office at SY (The Case of the Amateur Yachtsmen). In between, he's sometimes in (for instance Looks Back and Plot that Failed), sometimes not mentioned and presumably still in India (for instance Black Mask and Scores a Bull)

Brilliant - thank you Lycaea :jollygood:

And I second that!! Many thanks :thanks:

Can I add my pleas to all the others for the chance to read these, Soppy? :please: :bounce:
RAAF Spitfire Girl
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby SopwithCamel » 03 Mar 2014, 07:14

Thanks from me too, Lycaea!

RAAF Spitfire Girl wrote:

Can I add my pleas to all the others for the chance to read these, Soppy? :please: :bounce:

I'll try, but the attic is full of boxes and it may be a while until I find them... :roll:
--Biggles Flies East

SopwithCamel
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby SaintedAunt » 03 Mar 2014, 10:07

These must have been private letters rather than the official ones kept in the file in the office, so they should make sparkling reading Soppy :D
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby SopwithCamel » 03 Mar 2014, 10:52

SaintedAunt wrote:

These must have been private letters rather than the official ones kept in the file in the office, so they should make sparkling reading Soppy :D

I know! These are the ones that begin with "Dear Biggles you fathead..." :shock:
--Biggles Flies East

SopwithCamel
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby SaintedAunt » 03 Mar 2014, 12:26

SopwithCamel wrote:I know! These are the ones that begin with "Dear Biggles you fathead..." :shock:

Is that Biggles or me who is the fathead :lol: … can't wait really - they will be hilarious -
Soppy do stop whatever you are doing (except chapter 22) and look for them :please:
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Kismet » 03 Mar 2014, 12:55

SaintedAunt wrote:
SopwithCamel wrote:I know! These are the ones that begin with "Dear Biggles you fathead..." :shock:

Is that Biggles or me who is the fathead :lol: … can't wait really - they will be hilarious -
Soppy do stop whatever you are doing (except chapter 22) and look for them :please:

Please Soppy! Do not distract yourself from chapter 22, 23 and however many more. The letters will be wonderful but I can wait until you've resolved the current crisis.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: fantasy on Kindle Unlimited
Reading now: Patricia Wentworth

Postby SopwithCamel » 03 Mar 2014, 13:47

SaintedAunt wrote:

It's Biggles that's the fathead, not you, SA. :sorry: Sorry, shouldn't have worded it to sound like an insult to the person reading it on the forum! :oops:

I expect that Biggles and Algy both wrote rather rude letters to each other (in the spirit of fun, obviously).

Kismet wrote:
Please Soppy! Do not distract yourself from chapter 22, 23 and however many more. The letters will be wonderful but I can wait until you've resolved the current crisis.

I seem to spend my life trying to juggle fanfics that I desperately want to finish but cannot find time for! Am I just a greedy writer who is easily distracted, or someone who just can't commit to one project and see it through? :shock:
--Biggles Flies East

SopwithCamel
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby Crazy Man Michael » 03 Mar 2014, 14:01

Am I just a greedy writer who is easily distracted, or someone who just can't commit to one project and see it through? :shock:[/quote]

'Soppy Sees It Through' Sounds like the title of something.... ;)
Do you want to be a hero?
Crazy Man Michael
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby SaintedAunt » 03 Mar 2014, 14:20

Doesn't it just :lol:
I expect she'd do it with the help of Algy, Jane and Sebastian - see Soppy's Algy blog for details of unknown characters :twisted:
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby SaintedAunt » 03 Mar 2014, 14:24

SopwithCamel wrote:It's Biggles that's the fathead, not you, SA

Phew - that's a relief... I did hope so because I recognised it as typical of how Algy and Biggles addressed each other in their early days :D
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby SopwithCamel » 07 Mar 2014, 16:56

Lycaea wrote:

I thought about that last year, but never found my way up there ;) Hope you have better luck!

On topic, Algys visit to India is first mentioned in Plane that Disappeared (1963). In Investigates (1964), he's still in India (A Matter of Cooperation) except when he's on duty in the office at SY (The Case of the Amateur Yachtsmen). In between, he's sometimes in (for instance Looks Back and Plot that Failed), sometimes not mentioned and presumably still in India (for instance Black Mask and Scores a Bull).

One of the puzzles of Bigglesian 8-)

Could some kind soul quote me the relevant "Algy is still in India" passages in Plane that Disappeared and A Matter of Cooperation? I've got Terai. :please:

I need the quotes to find the box of letters. Biggles can't remember where he put them. :shock:
--Biggles Flies East

SopwithCamel
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby SaintedAunt » 07 Mar 2014, 21:35

SopwithCamel wrote:Could some kind soul quote me the relevant "Algy is still in India" passages in Plane that Disappeared and A Matter of Cooperation? I've got Terai. :please:

I need the quotes to find the box of letters. Biggles can't remember where he put them. :shock:

Plane that Disappeared: chapter II.
"Air Police Sergeant Algy Lacey had gone to India to work on a report of gold smuggling." The others were in the office waiting for a lead on the current mystery.
A Matter of Co-operation:
Gaskin came into the office and asked where everybody was - only Bertie there, who said:
Algy is still in India"
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

Next

Return to Algy