When was Algy sent to India?

Section for Algy discussions

Re: When was Algy sent to India?

Postby AusterAutocrat » 07 Mar 2014, 21:41

How did I know SA would be the 'kind soul' who did it... Some of you are just so reliable :D
‘Is Algy back?’
‘Yes; he was in the Mess having his dinner when I came out. He said something about not letting stray Huns interfere with his meals.’
‘He wouldn’t,’ replied Biggles bitterly.
AusterAutocrat
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Reading next: Biggles Defies the Swastika
My top chap: The Honourable A. M. Lacey
Starsign: Can I say 'Algy'? ;)
Aircraft: Guess...
Random: ACCOUNT TEMPORARILY INACTIVE

Postby SaintedAunt » 07 Mar 2014, 22:04

Well actually there appeared to have been a long gap of several hours when nobody else had, so I did.

But when my Biggles books are packed in boxes [except for the wonderful Red Fox 15 :) ] I shall be asking the questions ;)
The corners of Biggles' mouth twitched. "It's a sad thing to grow old without learning a thing or two." [Biggles Hunts Big Game]
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn
Aircraft: Sopwith Camel

Postby AusterAutocrat » 07 Mar 2014, 22:05

But why will they be packed in boxes, SA? Are you moving?
‘Is Algy back?’
‘Yes; he was in the Mess having his dinner when I came out. He said something about not letting stray Huns interfere with his meals.’
‘He wouldn’t,’ replied Biggles bitterly.
AusterAutocrat
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Reading next: Biggles Defies the Swastika
My top chap: The Honourable A. M. Lacey
Starsign: Can I say 'Algy'? ;)
Aircraft: Guess...
Random: ACCOUNT TEMPORARILY INACTIVE

Postby SaintedAunt » 07 Mar 2014, 23:27

AusterAutocrat wrote:But why will they be packed in boxes, SA? Are you moving?

Yes - twice *big sigh* … via temporary very very small accommodation. But mind you, only if the right people sign on the right dotted lines in the next few weeks * stress and worry *

I will be able to get at the top layer of each box I suppose - I could put all the air police books I hardly ever read at the top and then I will have to re-read them, including the short stories :( But I will have the Red Fox 15 which covers a lot of the best books :D Also, I have so many other books to go in boxes. There is going to be a wall of boxes next to the bed - but at least I won't be able to fall out… Possibly my friend's boxes will be on the other side (as she is sharing the accommodation while her house is refurbished) so I may have to crawl in from the bottom :lol:
The corners of Biggles' mouth twitched. "It's a sad thing to grow old without learning a thing or two." [Biggles Hunts Big Game]
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Kismet » 08 Mar 2014, 00:31

SaintedAunt wrote:
AusterAutocrat wrote:But why will they be packed in boxes, SA? Are you moving?

Yes - twice *big sigh* … via temporary very very small accommodation. But mind you, only if the right people sign on the right dotted lines in the next few weeks * stress and worry *

I will be able to get at the top layer of each box I suppose - I could put all the air police books I hardly ever read at the top and then I will have to re-read them, including the short stories :( But I will have the Red Fox 15 which covers a lot of the best books :D Also, I have so many other books to go in boxes. There is going to be a wall of boxes next to the bed - but at least I won't be able to fall out… Possibly my friend's boxes will be on the other side (as she is sharing the accommodation while her house is refurbished) so I may have to crawl in from the bottom :lol:

Some sort of raised bed with the boxes underneath? Packed in a way that would give you access from the side?
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: fantasy on Kindle Unlimited
Reading now: Patricia Wentworth

Postby Fairblue » 08 Mar 2014, 09:04

Stack the boxes on their sides, open top facing outward. Depending on the strength of boxes you could stack them and make a rudimentary bookcase. :)
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Starsign: Leo
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby SopwithCamel » 08 Mar 2014, 10:13

SaintedAunt wrote:
SopwithCamel wrote:Could some kind soul quote me the relevant "Algy is still in India" passages in Plane that Disappeared and A Matter of Cooperation? I've got Terai. :please:

I need the quotes to find the box of letters. Biggles can't remember where he put them. :shock:

Plane that Disappeared: chapter II.
"Air Police Sergeant Algy Lacey had gone to India to work on a report of gold smuggling." The others were in the office waiting for a lead on the current mystery.
A Matter of Co-operation:
Gaskin came into the office and asked where everybody was - only Bertie there, who said:
Algy is still in India"

Thanks, SA!
"Too true I did! What a wizard it was! I hooted like a coot in spite of the archie."
--Biggles Flies East

Updates on The Algy Chronicles: All Hallows' Eve posted.
SopwithCamel
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby SaintedAunt » 08 Mar 2014, 10:13

Fairblue wrote:Stack the boxes on their sides, open top facing outward. Depending on the strength of boxes you could stack them and make a rudimentary bookcase. :)

Thus speaks the experienced mover :lol: I might try that - thanks - I can at least get at the top layer that way more easily. They are quite big removal men's boxes but strong. The bottom ones won't be get-at-able but I can put my early fat ones at the bottom as I have the Red Fox 15.
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby kylie_koyote » 25 Jun 2014, 14:18

:backtotopic:

Returning to this one.

In "Biggles Investigates" in one of the earlier chapters, Bertie comments (as we have mentioned above) "Algy is still in India".

Yet in "the case of the amateur yachtsmen", Algy is there. He doesn't have any lines, but Ginger reports to him via phone or radio and Algy leaves a note for Biggles and Bertie before going out on a patrol. I caught this last night and did a double take.

:sigh2:

I suppose one can get around this by saying that it is a collection of short stories so they could've happened in any particular order and time, but it still threw me for a loop.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger

Postby elderlyfemalerelativ » 26 Jun 2014, 16:07

My edition of "Terai" says "regular readers of the Biggles adventures may recall that Air police Sergeant Algy Lacey had, on account of his experience, been temporarily seconded to the Indian Security Police etc etc"
Obviously we're not regular readers.
elderlyfemalerelativ
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Reading last: Benson's collected ghost stories
Reading now: Reading again the Patrick O'Brien sea stories
My top chap: Algy
Starsign: Leo

Postby kylie_koyote » 26 Jun 2014, 16:10

elderlyfemalerelativ wrote:Obviously we're not regular readers.

:lol: :lol:

Maybe we're too regular.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger

Previous

Return to Algy