The Chat Thread

Very general discussion about absolutely anything at all, go wildly off topic and chuck stuff about. Chit-chat. Witty banter. Crash air-planes. Bring your own "lemonade"

Re: The Chat Thread

Postby SopwithCamel » 13 Sep 2017, 18:46

Tommy Smith wrote:I'm guessing this recent event wouldn't go down well then.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-41122975

Note to self: stay away from the UK and the US and Australia.

Kismet wrote:Daughter number two is rearranging her room. There are head high piles of (presumably) clothes on the landing and most of my missing towels have surfaced. She must have made a deal with a Time Lord, as the cubic footage of stuff which has come out of the room is considerably more than the cubic footage within. I await developments with interest.

I too am capable of making "stuff" fit inside smaller spaces. It's a gift. :lol:

kylie_koyote wrote:
SopwithCamel wrote:Note to self: never visit KK.

Did I tell you there was a bear in our town last week?!

See note to self above. :shock:
"Too true I did! What a wizard it was! I hooted like a coot in spite of the archie."
--Biggles Flies East
SopwithCamel
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby Tracer » 14 Sep 2017, 08:55

Soppy, please would you make us some space for our books? the whole living room and one of the 2 bedrooms is lined with bookshelves with books 2 layers deep, and then there are Teetering Heaps on the floor. Floor space gets less and less. Books get more and more. We live in a library that has its own kitchen and bathroom.

I am mildly dyspraxic and tend to walk into things, which doesn't exactly help.

Re: spiders - as UK spiders are mostly harmless (though some will nip) I leave them alone all summer on the grounds that they might eat gribblies I don't want in the house e.g. clothes moths. Come autumn, they get a month's notice, then the webs come down. Even though they are possibly insulation and we don't have central heating. Right now the place looks like a scene set for Hammer Films.
pilots who had done a long tour and had that thousand-yard stare W. E. Johns
Tracer
Squadron leader
Squadron leader

Postby SopwithCamel » 14 Sep 2017, 10:21

Tracer wrote:Soppy, please would you make us some space for our books? the whole living room and one of the 2 bedrooms is lined with bookshelves with books 2 layers deep, and then there are Teetering Heaps on the floor. Floor space gets less and less. Books get more and more. We live in a library that has its own kitchen and bathroom.

I am mildly dyspraxic and tend to walk into things, which doesn't exactly help.

Re: spiders - as UK spiders are mostly harmless (though some will nip) I leave them alone all summer on the grounds that they might eat gribblies I don't want in the house e.g. clothes moths. Come autumn, they get a month's notice, then the webs come down. Even though they are possibly insulation and we don't have central heating. Right now the place looks like a scene set for Hammer Films.

Tracer--are you sure you're not living in my house? Because the circumstances sound suspiciously similar...(on the books, anyway). I have bookshelves and double-layered shelves, and then I had heaps, and now I have bookshelves that used to be closets. Soon I will have a bookshelf that used to be a bed...
"Too true I did! What a wizard it was! I hooted like a coot in spite of the archie."
--Biggles Flies East
SopwithCamel
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 14 Sep 2017, 10:58

Over the years, Mr RSG has long-sufferingly made me bookshelves...and bookshelves...and bookshelves...

Years ago, in our previous house, he even made a whole wall of bookshelves around our bedhead. I loved that!! Then there was the one in the Rumpus Room, then the ones in the lounge room, then...

So, when we moved into this house, and our study didn't have any bookshelves :shock: , he built another full wall of them...
Then three years ago he built me my Biggles' bookshelves. Now I'm eyeing off a vacant wall along the family room... :twisted:
RAAF Spitfire Girl
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: The Corners of the Globe (Robert Goddard)
Reading now: Enemy Coast Ahead
Reading next: Still a Tough decision!!
My top chap: Biggles, Biggles, and Biggles
Aircraft: Spitfire
Random: Walking Hadrian's Wall May 2017

Postby Kismet » 14 Sep 2017, 11:10

My name is Kismet and I have a book problem. A serious book problem. I have books in every room bar the downstairs toilet, which isn't really big enough to fit the toilet in, never mind a bookshelf. I also have two daughters with book problems of their own. My son, after some years of not reading anything not on a computer, is regaining his reading habit, so I expect he'll have a book problem too, especially as he is wanting to collect Folio Society copies of old sci fi books for their luscious illustrations and have a reading copy of the same... Student finances are hindering this ambition, but I don't suppose it will be long before he can afford his dream.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Cosy Witch Stories
Reading now: J S Fletcher 40 British Mysteries/Crime
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Postby kylie_koyote » 14 Sep 2017, 11:23

A number of years ago, we were watching a sad report on the news about how a certain percentage of American homes have no books at all :shock: and Mr. KK turned to me and said that it was probably worse than that, as we were skewing the average. :cryblue: :o
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Sharpe's Tiger
Reading now: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger

Postby SopwithCamel » 14 Sep 2017, 11:25

Books in the bathroom? Why not?

This is something I aspire to...
--Biggles Flies East
SopwithCamel
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby Tommy Smith » 14 Sep 2017, 11:33

Top toilet.

Apparentlly books are a good protection against radiation....
"Spare my days! Who wants to be true to life? Why read about what you can see going on around you any day of the week?"
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Kismet » 14 Sep 2017, 11:36

Tommy Smith wrote:
Apparentlly books are a good protection against radiation....

I better buy some more....
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby kylie_koyote » 14 Sep 2017, 13:54

I like the Paddington Bear discretely tucked into the back corner. :lol: :lol:
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby Tracer » 14 Sep 2017, 14:39

Thank you all - now I don't feel so alone :booky:
Tracer
Squadron leader
Squadron leader

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 14 Sep 2017, 23:00

Ooooh, Soppy. I"m totally in love with that bathroom/toilet. I showed Mr RSG the picture and suggested we could adapt it for the downstairs powder room to accommodate the books currently residing in the attic. He didn't take up the suggestion. Perhaps he's right, if we did there's a very real risk I'd never emerge... :twisted:
RAAF Spitfire Girl
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Indian Civil Service » 17 Sep 2017, 08:15

India just lost one of our own Biggles':

State Funeral for Marshal Arjan Singh Tomorrow; Flag to Fly at Half Mast in Delhi
First published: 11:57 AM Sep 17, 2017
Updated: 12 minutes ago

New Delhi: A state funeral will be accorded to Marshal of the Indian Air Force Arjan Singh and the national flag will fly at half mast in all government buildings here on Monday in his honour, the Home Ministry said on Sunday.

The last rites of Singh, who passed away at the Army's Research and Referral Hospital on Saturday, would be performed at Brar Square at 10am on Monday.

"As a mark of respect to the departed dignitary, a state funeral will be accorded and national flag will fly half-mast on the day of the funeral (September 18) in Delhi on all buildings where it is flown regularly," a Home Ministry spokesperson said.

Arjan Singh, the hero of the 1965 India-Pakistan war and the only Air Force officer to be promoted to five-star rank, died here on Saturday at the age of 98.

He was entrusted with the responsibility of leading the IAF when he was only 44 years old, a task he carried out with elan. He was the chief of the IAF when it found itself at the forefront of the 1965 conflict.

Singh, who had flown more than 60 different types of aircraft, had played a major role in transforming the IAF into one of the most potent air forces globally and the fourth biggest in the world.

Known as a man of few words, he was not only a fearless fighter pilot but had profound knowledge about air power which he applied in a wide spectrum of air operations. He was awarded the Padma Vibhushan, the second highest civilian honour, in 1965.
Indian Civil Service
Flying officer
Flying officer

Reading last: Aesthetics in Feminist Perspectives
Reading now: All my Biggles collection (94 strong)
Reading next: All my William collection (need 1 to complete)
My top chap: Biggles and Algy and Bertie...
Starsign: Sagittarius
Aircraft: Sopwith Camel; Gnat

Postby Tracer » 17 Sep 2017, 09:22

What a splendid chap he sounds. How fitting for him to have a full honours funeral. Someone should write his biography if it hasn't been done already.
Tracer
Squadron leader
Squadron leader

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 17 Sep 2017, 09:36

Tracer wrote:What a splendid chap he sounds. How fitting for him to have a full honours funeral. Someone should write his biography if it hasn't been done already.

Wow, what an amazing man! R.I.P.
They've been working together for so long that each seems to know by a sort of telepathy when another is in trouble. One never seems to get them together. Get one & the others come after him. To give the devil his due they make a formidable team.
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: Ginger Lacey: Fighter Pilot
Reading now: Danger UXB; The Little Prince
Reading next: History Of The Luftwaffe [1936-1945]
My top chap: J.C. Bigglesworth MC, DFC, DSO
Starsign: Scorpio
Aircraft: Supermarine Spitfire
Random: "Live long and prosper."

Postby elderlyfemalerelativ » 17 Sep 2017, 09:47

A good story about Douglas Bader in the paper this week. He was giving a talk at a girl's school (one wonders who thought this up) and said

"I looked to my right and there were three F..kers there. I looked to my left and there were two more. Behind me were three more f..kers".

By now the girls were giggling, so the Head mistress stood up and said "girls, I must remind you that Fockers are German airplanes"

Bader smiled at her said "You're right, ma'am but these f..kers were flying Messerscmidtts"
elderlyfemalerelativ
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Reading last: Benson's collected ghost stories
Reading now: Excellent women (again)
My top chap: Algy
Starsign: Leo

Postby Indian Civil Service » 17 Sep 2017, 09:49

OzBiggles1963 wrote:
Tracer wrote:What a splendid chap he sounds. How fitting for him to have a full honours funeral. Someone should write his biography if it hasn't been done already.

Wow, what an amazing man! R.I.P.

He was indeed splendid. He was chief guest at my school's annual day when I was in 6th grade and he took the salute at our march past. For days in advance teachers had nightmares about us messing it up because we were all so keen to get a close up look at him. But we wanted to show him our best and not one girl missed even one step. It was awesome, and I remember clearly, he was unparalleled.
Indian Civil Service
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby Indian Civil Service » 17 Sep 2017, 09:52

Indian Civil Service
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby kylie_koyote » 17 Sep 2017, 14:10

elderlyfemalerelativ wrote:A good story about Douglas Bader in the paper this week. He was giving a talk at a girl's school (one wonders who thought this up) and said

"I looked to my right and there were three F..kers there. I looked to my left and there were two more. Behind me were three more f..kers".

By now the girls were giggling, so the Head mistress stood up and said "girls, I must remind you that Fockers are German airplanes"

Bader smiled at her said "You're right, ma'am but these f..kers were flying Messerscmidtts"

Hahahaha, splendid.
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby Kismet » 17 Sep 2017, 18:57

Lovely story about Douglas Bader.

Marshal Arjan Singh sounds a splendid chap. Nice that he's getting the full state funeral.

Daughter number one graduated yesterday. (Yes, my daughters are two years apart in age but have managed to graduate during the same summer, with the younger being awarded her degree first).
I missed the first part of the ceremony as I was perched upon a wooden bench in the gods of the Sheldonian Theatre breathing carefully in through my nose and out through my mouth until I was convinced that I wouldn't be propelled through the very big gaps in the railings straight opposite me every time the person behind shuffled their feet against my back (think ampitheatre style seating on the upper balcony, no discernible health and safety, and I am bad with heights.)It was in Latin, so I didn't miss much. There were some made up words for modern subjects such as Computer Science, a lot of cap doffing and flourishing by the university higher ups at the graduands who bowed back very wobbily as they'd been given their instructions on what to do and say after the fourth glass of wine at their formal lunch immediately preceding the ceremony, then we were all taken back to her college and plied with actual champagne rather than the usual cheap alternatives. Quite a satisfactory day.
Kismet
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby Spitfire666 » 17 Sep 2017, 22:15

Indian Civil Service wrote:He was indeed splendid. He was chief guest at my school's annual day when I was in 6th grade and he took the salute at our march past. For days in advance teachers had nightmares about us messing it up because we were all so keen to get a close up look at him. But we wanted to show him our best and not one girl missed even one step. It was awesome, and I remember clearly, he was unparalleled.

Lovely that you have this memory, ICS. You must have been bursting with pride. :yay:
If there's one thing certain in this uncertain world it is that Algy won't go home without us.

http://wejas.org.uk
Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby Indian Civil Service » 18 Sep 2017, 06:21

Spitfire666 wrote:
Indian Civil Service wrote:He was indeed splendid. He was chief guest at my school's annual day when I was in 6th grade and he took the salute at our march past. For days in advance teachers had nightmares about us messing it up because we were all so keen to get a close up look at him. But we wanted to show him our best and not one girl missed even one step. It was awesome, and I remember clearly, he was unparalleled.

Lovely that you have this memory, ICS. You must have been bursting with pride. :yay:

Indeed, as it was 1968, pretty soon after the 1965 war. That was our best march past ever! Witness the fact that he came to an all-girl convent school when he was still head of the IAF! And today we finally have women flying in the IAF too and training as combatants. If I could go back, I would so sign up!
Indian Civil Service
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby Indian Civil Service » 18 Sep 2017, 06:31

Farewell for our own Biggles:

http://www.msn.com/en-in/news/newsindia ... spartanntp

Oh, and he fought in WW2 and was awarded the DFC too.
Indian Civil Service
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby kylie_koyote » 27 Sep 2017, 14:41

I admit I haven't read the fine print, but this sounds like a great adventure/opportunity that would make Biggles proud.

https://www.flyer.co.uk/15-free-places- ... re-flight/

(BTW, if any Forum members actually do this, I expect a FULL report with photos!) :salute:
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby Tracer » 28 Sep 2017, 08:50

What an amazing opportunity! I hope all goes really well.
Tracer
Squadron leader
Squadron leader

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 28 Sep 2017, 13:23

Tracer wrote:What an amazing opportunity! I hope all goes really well.

Hmm, I wonder if the cockpit is Anaconda-Proof?? :roll:
They've been working together for so long that each seems to know by a sort of telepathy when another is in trouble. One never seems to get them together. Get one & the others come after him. To give the devil his due they make a formidable team.
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: Ginger Lacey: Fighter Pilot
Reading now: Danger UXB; The Little Prince
Reading next: History Of The Luftwaffe [1936-1945]
My top chap: J.C. Bigglesworth MC, DFC, DSO
Starsign: Scorpio
Aircraft: Supermarine Spitfire
Random: "Live long and prosper."

Postby Frecks » 28 Sep 2017, 16:16

Well the one in Borneo wasn't snake proof :lol:
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Tommy Smith » 28 Sep 2017, 19:51

Certainly an adventure.
I know that Beech in the crews list, wonder who else is going...
"Spare my days! Who wants to be true to life? Why read about what you can see going on around you any day of the week?"
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby kylie_koyote » 28 Sep 2017, 19:59

Tommy Smith wrote:Certainly an adventure.
I know that Beech in the crews list, wonder who else is going...

You should ask around. Maybe you'll get to participate in some capacity.
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 28 Sep 2017, 23:02

kylie_koyote wrote:https://www.flyer.co.uk/15-free-places-south-american-adventure-flight/

How marvellous. I hope someone writes up their adventure so we ordinary mortals can follow along - or at least read about it when all is completed. (Maybe WEJ might be a stowaway...)
RAAF Spitfire Girl
Wing commander
Wing commander

PreviousNext

Return to Pilots Mess