Kismet's Writing Challenge Part Deux

All entries to be posted on January 25, 2015. Please post your entry to a new thread with the title "[Title]/[Your name]".

Re: Kismet's Writing Challenge Part Deux

Postby kylie_koyote » 24 Jan 2015, 16:52

Frecks wrote:Yes we had noticed the onion popping up :lol: I cannot write at all but I have seen a course on writing which is being run locally so I might consider joining it.

Oh that could be fun! I hope you do, and you can share your newfound knowledge with us too.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby Frederique » 24 Jan 2015, 22:46

Well, unable to write my story in time, I also find myself as part of the reading party.

And I couldn't be happier, because there's such a treat in store - or, rather, a storage of treats... :mrgreen:

:pilotthumbsup: :first: :bounce: :plane2:
:woohodance: for Challenge Sunday :!:
"Where the dickens did you spring from?" he inquired.
"Oh, I was just hanging around, you know, in case I was wanted," returned Algy lightly.

Biggles Defies the Swastika
Frederique
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Postby J349 » 25 Jan 2015, 17:01

Great, excited for it. Will have a read of your contributions when I get time later on.

I keep thinking of Prof. Branestawm and the clock he made - went on striking. Anyone ever read Branestawm?
I lived on him when i was little :D
Petroffsky beamed. 'Now you may be certain of seeing me soon,' he declared. 'Au revoir. Remember, my rifle is at your command.'
'And my chocolate is at yours,' returned Biggles, smiling. 'Goodbye for now.'
Biggles Gets His Men.
J349
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Reading now: A list of books longer than your arm
My top chap: Biggles

Postby Frederique » 25 Jan 2015, 17:10

J349 wrote:I keep thinking of Prof. Branestawm and the clock he made - went on striking. Anyone ever read Branestawm?
I lived on him when i was little :D
I recently got a Professor Branestawm book as a present for my 8-year-old nephew, and naturally felt obliged to read it first. :twisted: There were some incredibly amusing and witty parts; I think they'd probably go over children's heads! I remember the chapter about the clock, and yes, I see what you mean.
"Where the dickens did you spring from?" he inquired.
"Oh, I was just hanging around, you know, in case I was wanted," returned Algy lightly.

Biggles Defies the Swastika
Frederique
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Postby Kismet » 26 Jan 2015, 13:40

First of all a great big enormous thankyou to everyone for contributing such fantastic tales (poem, RSG). As always they were a delight to read and extremely varied. I really enjoyed them on the first read through, and am enjoying them even more on the second.

:?: I've been asked about a late posting by someone whose story wasn't quite ready in time, and as this is an issue which may affect other people, I'm asking for opinions on what the most appropriate thing to do is.

I really want to read the story, as I expect other people will, so...

:?: The question is, where should it be posted? Should it go under Kismet's Challenge, where it belongs in that it was written in response to the Challenge even though it is past the deadline for posting, or would that devalue the whole deadline part of the Challenge and make people less willing to make the effort to post on time because it would set a precedent for it being alright to post later, in which case the story could be posted under the general Writing WEJ style heading with a sentence explaining it was written for the Challenge but completed too late to post there?

:?: A secondary question would be, how do we feel generally about adding to the Challenges? If a new member is inspired by an old Challenge, could they write a story for it and add it to the collection? If someone suddenly realises how to finish a story they had started for a Challenge but not completed, can they post it under the Challenge or should it go in the General category?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on the matter. Have a Happy Monday wherever you are,

Kismet.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: fantasy on Kindle Unlimited
Reading now: Patricia Wentworth
Starsign: Capricorn

Postby J349 » 26 Jan 2015, 13:55

I think we should make an exception for the latecomer, and let them post it here - with the title clearly explaining that it is late. I did spend a lot of time, last minute on mine to get it in in time (still not as finished, as I would've liked); so I don't think it would do to set a precedent. Just deal with each one, as it comes.
Otherwise we'd all miss out on their contribution. The challenge isn't meant to be done under a fierce competitive spirit, but as a fun thing to do - enjoyed by all.

I think people will learn from this challenge their limits, so I doubt that it will happen again. They'll know now to plan beforehand and work it all out sooner rather than later.

That's my 2 cents anyway :D

Thank you for organising it too, Kismet!
Petroffsky beamed. 'Now you may be certain of seeing me soon,' he declared. 'Au revoir. Remember, my rifle is at your command.'
Biggles Gets His Men.
J349
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Postby Fairblue » 26 Jan 2015, 14:05

My view is that only stories written during the Challenge time should be accepted for the Challenge, otherwise what is the point of having a time restraint? Part of the enjoyment of the Challenge for me is that it is a Challenge, both in producing content and having to complete by a specified time. It would devalue it if the deadline was extended. One day late would then extend to two days and so on.

Having said that I would not like think someone's hard work wasn't recognised so it could go in the general WEJ's writing section with an explanation, where we could still enjoy it and appreciate their efforts.

On the whole, though, I believe that people should be encouraged to work within the spirit of the Challenge and abide by the rules.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Starsign: Leo

Postby SaintedAunt » 26 Jan 2015, 14:15

My personal feeling is that if somebody doesn't get their story in on time, then it doesn't qualify. For example, J349 had to rush his story to get it in on time. This may not be a popular view, BUT… if the Challenge is to have any meaning, it must be submitted in time.

The thing is that if you don't stick to the rules, then anybody can also feel they don't have to. I know this won't be popular … I think the person in question should post in the general WEJ section explaining they didn't finish it in time…

Yesterday, I deliberately deleted my second story (much to a particular member's distress) because I decided that it wasn't fair to put in three stories, even though I had in fact written all three in one day just before the challenge (and one more day to check and polish). I promised that particular member that I would post it today, altering one line to be consistent with it not being Kismet's Challenge.

As to past challenges, for new members, well that is a nice point, but I think essentially the rules should still apply.
The corners of Biggles' mouth twitched. "It's a sad thing to grow old without learning a thing or two." [Biggles Hunts Big Game]
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

Aircraft: Sopwith Camel

Postby J349 » 26 Jan 2015, 14:40

SaintedAunt wrote:... I decided that it wasn't fair to put in three stories, even though I had in fact written all three in one day just before the challenge (and one more day to check and polish).

Wow your a machine! lol
I guess you had the ideas in mind though? :P

This was my first 'fanfic', so I had no idea how it would come along. I guess experience plays a part in these things?
Biggles Gets His Men.
J349
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Postby Kismet » 26 Jan 2015, 15:00

SaintedAunt wrote:

Yesterday, I deliberately deleted my second story (much to a particular member's distress) because I decided that it wasn't fair to put in three stories, even though I had in fact written all three in one day just before the challenge (and one more day to check and polish). I promised that particular member that I would post it today, altering one line to be consistent with it not being Kismet's Challenge.

I wondered what had happened to your other story: you wrote somewhere that you were putting three in but I could only see two.

I think it is perfectly fair to put in multiple entries, SA, because there is no limit on story length. The word count of three or four short stories is often less than one longer one. If you feel that a story belongs better elsewhere, that's fine, but please don't pull a story simply because you've already put another entry or two in! (It's a very good story by the way. I've just read it).
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby SaintedAunt » 26 Jan 2015, 15:08

Oh, well… thank you :yay: Another time I'll know :D
The corners of Biggles' mouth twitched. "It's a sad thing to grow old without learning a thing or two." [Biggles Hunts Big Game]
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby SaintedAunt » 26 Jan 2015, 15:10

J349 wrote:
SaintedAunt wrote:... I decided that it wasn't fair to put in three stories, even though I had in fact written all three in one day just before the challenge (and one more day to check and polish).

I guess you had the ideas in mind though? :P

Funnily enough, I didn't :o
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby kylie_koyote » 26 Jan 2015, 15:17

I don't have a problem with it either way, but I think if it's MUCH later (more than 1 day ??), it should just go in "writing WEJ style" with a note that the author was inspired by the challenge, but it's not part of the challenge.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger

Postby Fairblue » 26 Jan 2015, 17:45

J349 wrote:
This was my first 'fanfic', so I had no idea how it would come along. I guess experience plays a part in these things?
I had no idea how mine would come along either. I usually have a basic plot but for the rest I'm flying by the seat of my pants as it were. Biggles wasn't meant to break his ankle, but he did, meaning I then had to work out how to get him to the pick -up point. This extended the story more than I intended. And in my very first fanfic von Stahlein popped up when I wasn't looking and promptly took over. If one thing experience has taught me it's to go with the flow.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby SaintedAunt » 26 Jan 2015, 18:01

I'm sorry Kismet, I completely forgot to say thank you for organising the second Challenge.
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Kismet » 26 Jan 2015, 18:02

Fairblue wrote:
J349 wrote:
I had no idea how mine would come along either. I usually have a basic plot but for the rest I'm flying by the seat of my pants as it were. Biggles wasn't meant to break his ankle, but he did, meaning I then had to work out how to get him to the pick -up point. This extended the story more than I intended. And in my very first fanfic von Stahlein popped up when I wasn't looking and promptly took over.. If one thing experience has taught me it's to go with the flow.

This was only my second. I work it out as I go along, and the story is as long as it takes to tell it. I'm blown away by the idea of having to write a specific number of words for a story, the way professional authors do. I've no idea how to do that.

I'm sorry Kismet, I completely forgot to say thank you for organising the second Challenge.

My pleasure completely, SA. Thank you for participating.
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Fairblue » 26 Jan 2015, 18:11

Kismet wrote:This was only my second. I work it out as I go along, and the story is as long as it takes to tell it. I'm blown away by the idea of having to write a specific number of words for a story, the way professional authors do. I've no idea how to do that.

But if you had to, you would, Kismet. It's simply a skill you have not yet learned or had chance to practice.
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby J349 » 26 Jan 2015, 18:39

Fairblue wrote:I had no idea how mine would come along either. I usually have a basic plot but for the rest I'm flying by the seat of my pants as it were. Biggles wasn't meant to break his ankle, but he did, meaning I then had to work out how to get him to the pick -up point. This extended the story more than I intended. And in my very first fanfic von Stahlein popped up when I wasn't looking and promptly took over. If one thing experience has taught me it's to go with the flow.

Yes, I've found that. It's like reading a story yourself - I generally have a vague idea of what I want to happen, but it often catches me by surprise :D :P
Biggles Gets His Men.
J349
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Postby Kismet » 26 Jan 2015, 19:23

Fairblue wrote:
Kismet wrote:This was only my second. I work it out as I go along, and the story is as long as it takes to tell it. I'm blown away by the idea of having to write a specific number of words for a story, the way professional authors do. I've no idea how to do that.

But if you had to, you would, Kismet. It's simply a skill you have not yet learned or had chance to practice.

You're quite right, FB. I expect if I had to do it, I'd work it out somehow. It would be more accurate to say I wouldn't want to do it. I like my RPGs. They're my writing comfort zone.
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby J349 » 10 Feb 2015, 18:28

Kismet wrote:
A secondary question would be, how do we feel about adding to the Challenges? If a new member is inspired by an old Challenge, could they write a story for it and add it to the collection? If someone suddenly realises how to finish a story they had started for a Challenge but not completed, can they post it under the Challenge or should it go in the General category?

:?: What happened to this? Did we decide on anything or was it just not published?
Biggles Gets His Men.
J349
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Postby Kismet » 10 Feb 2015, 18:32

J349 wrote:
Kismet wrote:
A secondary question would be, how do we feel about adding to the Challenges? If a new member is inspired by an old Challenge, could they write a story for it and add it to the collection? If someone suddenly realises how to finish a story they had started for a Challenge but not completed, can they post it under the Challenge or should it go in the General category?

:?: What happened to this? Did we decide on anything or was it just not published?

The story that prompted the initial question hasn't been published (possibly still 'yet').

The consensus opinion seems to be that even if something is Challenge related, then it should go in the main writing section if it cannot be published on the exact date of the Challenge. Nice and straightforward.
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 12 Feb 2015, 21:52

Kismet wrote:The consensus opinion seems to be that even if something is Challenge related, then it should go in the main writing section if it cannot be published on the exact date of the Challenge. Nice and straightforward.

Have only just caught up with this :oops: I agree with the consensus. I know I had to stop the story I'd started because it refused to behave :roll: and that's how I came to write the 'poem' - but even that little bit of nonsense took a few hours. Thanks, too, Kismet for both organising the Challenge (I've loved the stories) and for facilitating this discussion. :clap: :clap:
RAAF Spitfire Girl
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: The Corners of the Globe (Robert Goddard)
Reading now: Enemy Coast Ahead
Reading next: Still a Tough decision!!
My top chap: Biggles, Biggles, and Biggles
Random: Walking Hadrian's Wall May 2017

Postby Kismet » 13 Feb 2015, 00:48

My pleasure entirely! :merry:

Thank you everyone for participating.
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Previous

Return to Kismet's Writing Challenge II