The Stuff of Nightmares - SaintedAunt

All entries to be posted on January 25, 2015. Please post your entry to a new thread with the title "[Title]/[Your name]".

The Stuff of Nightmares - SaintedAunt

Postby SaintedAunt » 25 Jan 2015, 10:23

The Stuff of Nightmares

It was a bright cold day, and the clock was striking thirteen. All around him, the air was full of fairies: sharp-eyed Fokker Fairies, triple-winged Albatross Fairies, giant Gotha Fairies, even a few Rumpler Fairies twisting and turning slowly at a lower level.

He knew he must somehow get back; warn the others; tell them… But how was he to do this? He was surrounded. No way out. Every time he tried to make a dash for it, his Camel was cut off by another organised troop of fairies. He pushed and pulled desperately on what ought to have been the control stick only to find it was a piece of gossamer. He stared at the Camel – where there were usually guns there were… No, no, no! He panicked. This couldn’t be real. But it was. He was in the air, surrounded by fairies and they were not going to let him go home.

“Okay,” he decided, “If I can’t go home, I’ll take some of them with me.” He dived at a troop of Fokker Fairies, and much to his surprise, he found he could dive. The gossamer control stick seemed to have its own way of working. The Fokker Fairies scattered before him, only to close up again around him.

He groaned. “Not again,” and flung his Camel into a steep climbing turn, which again, much to his surprise, seemed to work. For one joyous moment he was up, away and free.

But the Albatross Fairies were onto him in a trice. Flashing their triple wings in the moonlight (why was it no longer sunlight, he wondered absently) they caught him up and surrounded him, shepherding him back, slowly but firmly to where the giant Gotha Fairies were systematically dropping something towards the ground.

He stared, blinked, and stared again. The giant Gotha Fairies were dropping giant tortoises, each one pregnant with thousands of eggs. He shook his head in disbelief. The clock struck fourteen.

As if that was a pre-arranged signal, the Rumpler Fairies closed round the tortoises, gently wafting them to the ground where they burrowed into the… No, it ought to have been mud but in some curious way it had turned into sand. But there was no sea.

“Oh God,” he cried. “This is ridiculous!” He looked up and… there they all were, still: the sharp-eyed Fokker Fairies, the triple-winged Albatross Fairies, the giant Gotha Fairies, and even a few Rumpler Fairies… and the sand was full of heaving giant tortoises making large depressions, laying their eggs then covering them up carefully.

The clock struck fifteen. The sun came out and heated the sand. It started to boil like a kettle. The giant tortoises had somehow disappeared. The eggs were about to hatch.

There was only one thing to do, and he did it. He pushed the throttle wide open, diving for every bit of speed and ran for his life.

Looking over his shoulder the sight was terrifying as the Fokker Fairies, the Albatross Fairies, the Gotha Fairies and the Rumpler Fairies all spread out behind him. He could feel the Camel losing power; they were pulling him in; there was no escape… He cried out in terror…

With a start, he sat up in bed, shaking with fear. He looked around him. No fairies. Just the gentle snoring of the rest of Biggles’ flight. Gradually, his pulse returned to normal. Algy shook his head, closed his eyes, then opened them again, cautiously. Still the same peaceful sight of gently snoring men…
The corners of Biggles' mouth twitched. "It's a sad thing to grow old without learning a thing or two." [Biggles Hunts Big Game]
SaintedAunt
Wing commander
Wing commander

My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn
Aircraft: Sopwith Camel

Re: The Stuff of Nightmares - SaintedAunt

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 25 Jan 2015, 10:41

Clever writing, SA :D I erroneously assumed Biggles was the Camel pilot :lol: Loved all those fairies being the stuff of nightmares.
RAAF Spitfire Girl
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: The Corners of the Globe (Robert Goddard)
Reading now: Enemy Coast Ahead
Reading next: Still a Tough decision!!
My top chap: Biggles, Biggles, and Biggles
Aircraft: Spitfire
Random: Walking Hadrian's Wall May 2017

Postby tiffinata » 25 Jan 2015, 10:45

Wow!
I'm going to need to read that again.
'....you cannot flout Nature with impunity. Treat Nature with respect, and she will tolerate you, even encourage you; but treat her with contempt, and your days are numbered.' Hits the Trail
tiffinata
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: probably something on facebook.
Reading now: about a dozen books at once.
Reading next: hmmm. too many to choose from. sigh.
Aircraft: Beaufighter and Pup.

Postby Frederique » 25 Jan 2015, 12:14

Hilarious! :pilotthumbsup:

Poor Algy! At least it was only a nightmare. :mrgreen:

SaintedAunt wrote: Every time he tried to make a dash for it, his Camel was cut off by another organised troop of fairies.
:lol: :lol:
"Where the dickens did you spring from?" he inquired.
"Oh, I was just hanging around, you know, in case I was wanted," returned Algy lightly.

Biggles Defies the Swastika
Frederique
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Postby Fairblue » 25 Jan 2015, 12:14

RAAF Spitfire Girl wrote:Clever writing, SA :D I erroneously assumed Biggles was the Camel pilot :lol: Loved all those fairies being the stuff of nightmares.

I made the same assumption, too, RSG. Very clever, SA. I enjoyed this.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Starsign: Leo

Postby kylie_koyote » 25 Jan 2015, 13:14

Fantastic stuff!!
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger

Postby Kismet » 25 Jan 2015, 19:13

Lovely stuff.
All around him, the air was full of fairies:
I started chuckling at this point and didn't stop.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: fantasy on Kindle Unlimited
Reading now: Patricia Wentworth
Starsign: Capricorn

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 26 Jan 2015, 03:02

tiffinata wrote:Wow!
I'm going to need to read that again.

Me too! That was scarily real...straight out of Walt Disney's Fantasia or some such warped fairy tale! ;)
They've been working together for so long that each seems to know by a sort of telepathy when another is in trouble. One never seems to get them together. Get one & the others come after him. To give the devil his due they make a formidable team.
OzBiggles1963
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: Ginger Lacey: Fighter Pilot
Reading now: Danger UXB; The Little Prince
Reading next: History Of The Luftwaffe [1936-1945]
My top chap: J.C. Bigglesworth MC, DFC, DSO
Starsign: Scorpio
Aircraft: Supermarine Spitfire
Random: "Live long and prosper."

Postby Spitfire666 » 26 Jan 2015, 10:53

SaintedAunt wrote:With a start, he sat up in bed, shaking with fear. He looked around him. No fairies. Just the gentle snoring of the rest of Biggles’ flight. Gradually, his pulse returned to normal. Algy shook his head, closed his eyes, then opened them again, cautiously. Still the same peaceful sight of gently snoring men…

Phew :!: Quite a relief that :!: I would not want to meet those fairies :shock:
If there's one thing certain in this uncertain world it is that Algy won't go home without us.

http://wejas.org.uk
Spitfire666
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby J349 » 26 Jan 2015, 11:33

Great one, SA! :lol:
It's funny how people have come out with totally different contributions from that first starting line :D Makes it all that bit more unique!
Petroffsky beamed. 'Now you may be certain of seeing me soon,' he declared. 'Au revoir. Remember, my rifle is at your command.'
'And my chocolate is at yours,' returned Biggles, smiling. 'Goodbye for now.'
Biggles Gets His Men.
J349
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Reading now: A list of books longer than your arm

Return to Kismet's Writing Challenge II