The Challenge!

The Challenge!

Postby Kismet » 11 Aug 2018, 23:57

It’s one minute past midnight (or in the vicinity thereof) on Sunday 12th August, so it is time to post the Challenge!

The title is Biggles Pulls it Off!

Hope this stimulates everyone’s imagination / fits with the story ideas you’ve been nursing for the last few weeks.

For extra kudos, try and get a mention of the following items into your story:

:bluebounce: Chocolate (for HostileCacti)
:bluebounce: Puppet (for kylie-koyote)
:bluebounce: Bird of Paradise –doesn’t have to be a ravenous mutant one- (for RAAF Spitfire Girl)

A quick reminder of the rules:

:dance: Posting date is any time on Sunday 2nd September. Please follow your own time zones. It doesn’t have to be GMT. If you cannot post your entry on this date (and you can’t get anyone else to post it for you) then it can’t be posted in the Challenge forum but will be very welcome in the general Writing WEJ style forum.

:dance: Please create a new thread to post your story in the Kismet’s Writing Challenge VII forum with the title ‘Biggles Pulls it Off’ followed by your name. Lots of line spaces will make your entry easier to read: have a look at other fics or ask for advice if you are new to this. We’re all very friendly.

:dance: This is a family-friendly forum visited by young and old from all the continents except Antarctica. At least, I don’t think we’ve been accessed regularly in Antarctica. Entries for the Challenge should reflect this. If you have a fantastic idea for something adult in nature then there’s AO3.

:dance: There are no rules on what sort of writing your entry has to be. It can be a short story, a full length novel, a poem, a limerick, a one-liner. No one has drawn a graphic entry yet, but that would be welcome.

:dance: I’ve locked the Discussion thread, so if you have any questions this is now the thread to ask them on.

:dancingbananas: Let the Challenge begin! :dancingbananas:
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: fantasy on Kindle Unlimited
Reading now: Patricia Wentworth
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Re: The Challenge!

Postby HostileCacti » 12 Aug 2018, 08:09

w00t!! Scary!! Good luck everyone!!
There's a difference between a bad man and a good man gone wrong, answered Biggles coldly, as he turned back into the hut.
HostileCacti
Flying officer
Flying officer

Reading last: Pigs can fly
Reading now: Biggles and the Pirate Treasure
Aircraft: Sopwith Camel
Random: Tea & biscuits

Postby Fairblue » 12 Aug 2018, 08:14

Kismet wrote:
Hope this stimulates everyone’s imagination / fits with the story ideas you’ve been nursing for the last few weeks.

Nope, it doesn't. Guess I'd better put my thinking cap on. :writing:
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Starsign: Leo
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby Frecks » 12 Aug 2018, 10:40

It gives me some ideas but they would only be suitable for A03.
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

My top chap: Ginger

Postby StoneRoad » 12 Aug 2018, 11:16

Well, I'm thinking - but my muse is having a lie-in today ... but a few ideas are hovering around.

and I may need a proxy poster for my effort(s) as I shall be commemorating WW1 at the Foxfield Railway on the 2nd September.
StoneRoad
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Reading last: The Last Fighting Tommy (Harry Patch)
Reading now: Spitfire Girls
Reading next: Greenhouse info & seed catalogues
My top chap: that would be telling !
Starsign: Virgo
Aircraft: Lancaster
Random: Forewarned is forearmed

Postby Kismet » 12 Aug 2018, 11:36

Fairblue wrote:
Kismet wrote:

Nope, it doesn't. Guess I'd better put my thinking cap on. :writing:

Oh no! Can't you twist things around a bit?
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Fairblue » 12 Aug 2018, 11:41

Kismet wrote:

Fairblue wrote: Nope, it doesn't. Guess I'd better put my thinking cap on. :writing:

Kismet wrote:Oh no! Can't you twist things around a bit?

Nope. I will have to write it and post as a separate story.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Kismet » 12 Aug 2018, 12:27

Fairblue wrote:

Two stories for the price of one! Woohoo. :pianonana:
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby SopwithCamel » 12 Aug 2018, 13:01

Very tentatively back with the human race again after a couple of down days :roll:

Nothing in the muse pipeline yet, but hopefully if I stay un-sunstroked (and the weather stops being so HOT), I can get something done :D
"Too true I did! What a wizard it was! I hooted like a coot in spite of the archie."
--Biggles Flies East

Updates on The Algy Chronicles: All Hallows' Eve posted.
SopwithCamel
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby Kismet » 12 Aug 2018, 13:05

SopwithCamel wrote:Very tentatively back with the human race again after a couple of down days :roll:

Nothing in the muse pipeline yet, but hopefully if I stay un-sunstroked (and the weather stops being so HOT), I can get something done :D

Best wishes for your recovery, Soppy and I hope the muse visits. :flysmi:
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Kismet » 12 Aug 2018, 13:06

StoneRoad wrote:Well, I'm thinking - but my muse is having a lie-in today ... but a few ideas are hovering around.

and I may need a proxy poster for my effort(s) as I shall be commemorating WW1 at the Foxfield Railway on the 2nd September.

We can get that sorted out nearer the time. You might be able to post it yourself whilst it is Sunday 2nd somewhere!
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby tiffinata » 13 Aug 2018, 10:53

I'm afraid my first thoughts were suited to AO3 as well.
I think I have a friendly idea, though.
'....you cannot flout Nature with impunity. Treat Nature with respect, and she will tolerate you, even encourage you; but treat her with contempt, and your days are numbered.' Hits the Trail
tiffinata
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: probably something on facebook.
Reading now: about a dozen books at once.
Reading next: hmmm. too many to choose from. sigh.
Aircraft: Beaufighter and Pup.

Postby kylie_koyote » 13 Aug 2018, 11:21

tiffinata wrote:I'm afraid my first thoughts were suited to AO3 as well.
I think I have a friendly idea, though.

This brings to mind one of my favorite out-of-context quotes:

"Biggles and Sandy were between them pulling down Brady’s trousers." (Gun Runners)

You may (as WEJ did) be able to come up with a perfectly reasonable and family-friendly reason why this would happen. :lol:
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...

Postby Kismet » 13 Aug 2018, 12:04

De-bagging was a common form of fun/ bullying. A jolly jape not always appreciated by the recipient.There's your family friendly reason for pulling a man's trousers off.

Those amongst you who read old books - especially school stories - or go to the theatre will have been reminded of Daisy Pulls It Off, 'a comedy play by Denise Deegan. It is a parody of wholesome adventure stories about life in a 1920s girls' English boarding school, such as those by Angela Brazil.' Wikipedia.
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Frecks » 13 Aug 2018, 13:25

Of course it could be a daring war time raid or a difficult peacetime mission between the Wars or in the Air Police. There is a super short story in one of the Air Police short stories books where Biggles goes alone on a military style mission.
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Fairblue » 15 Aug 2018, 11:01

Fairblue wrote:
Kismet wrote:

Fairblue wrote: Nope, it doesn't. Guess I'd better put my thinking cap on. :writing:

Had a :idea: last night and can shift things round, after all. Hugely relieved. I thought my muse had deserted me.
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby id_ten_it » 15 Aug 2018, 11:10

Fairblue wrote:Had a :idea: last night and can shift things round, after all. Hugely relieved. I thought my muse had deserted me.

I cannot wait to see the result!
id_ten_it
Pilot officer
Pilot officer

Reading last: Poems by the Anzacs
Reading now: Hidden Figures
My top chap: Sir Keith Park
Aircraft: TSR-2

Postby kylie_koyote » 15 Aug 2018, 11:14

I'm envious - my muse visited me about my Halloween story but nothing for the challenge. Apparently I need to have a word with her.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby Kismet » 15 Aug 2018, 12:01

That's good news, fb, except that it means we only have one story from you now.

My muse is popping in and out at odd times of the day and night but I haven't chased down and caught the plot bunnies yet: they keep disappearing down their rabbit hole ahead of me. And my mother's coming to visit for a week on Friday.
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby HostileCacti » 16 Aug 2018, 08:06

How is everyone doing?

I have (quite unexpectedly) written something :sweat: but I'm not sure it entirely follows the instructions. Or the topic perhaps. Anyway. It's something which is more than I expected (which was nothing).

It's only Thursday today so I hope that the Muses will have time to visit everyone as they frantically flit around the globe :nailbiting: :plane2: :wavemachine:
There's a difference between a bad man and a good man gone wrong, answered Biggles coldly, as he turned back into the hut.
HostileCacti
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby id_ten_it » 16 Aug 2018, 08:53

HostileCacti wrote:How is everyone doing?

I have (quite unexpectedly) written something :sweat: but I'm not sure it entirely follows the instructions. Or the topic perhaps. Anyway. It's something which is more than I expected (which was nothing).

It's only Thursday today so I hope that the Muses will have time to visit everyone as they frantically flit around the globe :nailbiting: :plane2: :wavemachine:

That's exciting!

I have a general outline in my brain but still haven't sat and written it. I'm spending 12 hours on a bus tomorrow though so I'll get some handwritten notes done :roll: It's a start!
id_ten_it
Pilot officer
Pilot officer

Postby HostileCacti » 16 Aug 2018, 08:59

id_ten_it wrote: I'm spending 12 hours on a bus tomorrow though so I'll get some handwritten notes done :roll: It's a start!

On a bus? That sounds bumpy! I hope you can read your notes afterwards....

12 hours is a really loooong time, good luck!!
HostileCacti
Flying officer
Flying officer

Postby id_ten_it » 16 Aug 2018, 09:14

HostileCacti wrote:
id_ten_it wrote: I'm spending 12 hours on a bus tomorrow though so I'll get some handwritten notes done :roll: It's a start!

On a bus? That sounds bumpy! I hope you can read your notes afterwards....

12 hours is a really loooong time, good luck!!

Thank you! I keep reminding myself it can't be any worse than the notes written in the back of a helicopter :D
id_ten_it
Pilot officer
Pilot officer

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 16 Aug 2018, 10:53

My muse has gone bush!! :cryblue: Hoping it re-emerges quickly and takes up residence back here, with me and starts chatting to me or my once brilliant idea is going to languish for lack of some quality tucker.
RAAF Spitfire Girl
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: The Corners of the Globe (Robert Goddard)
Reading now: Enemy Coast Ahead
Reading next: Still a Tough decision!!
My top chap: Biggles, Biggles, and Biggles
Random: Walking Hadrian's Wall May 2017

Postby Kismet » 16 Aug 2018, 12:35

So how does everyone write a story?

I'm very logical. I start off with a scenario and most of Kipling's serving men (What and Why and When And How and Where and Who), write an introduction explaining why Biggles and Algy are on their desert island looking for the Sultan's lost rubies with Mrs Symes' nephew then write the story in order from beginning to end without any more planning than a vague idea that a crocodile will be involved and a landslip and an ancient pirate trap for treasure hunters and maybe something else. I start by reading what I have already written and tidying it up, adding more description and dialogue as it occurs to me, then carry on where I left off doing any research I need as I go along. If I get stuck, then I'm stuck until I work out a way around my problem: I won't skip ahead and write the next bit. Occasionally I have to go back and insert foreshadowing.

How does everyone else write?
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Wanderer » 16 Aug 2018, 13:16

It depends a bit on the circumstances but not dissimilar to you. There is an overarching story line, a narrative to be told, and I usually know where I am going to start and how I am going to end. However, I usually at least sketch out one or more dramatic scenes or passages around which the story will flow, then write the connecting parts usually more less from beginning to end connecting the "special parts". Then as new ideas emerge and problems are overcome, I start back at the beginning and work forwards again. Sometimes whole passages get relocated to better spots in the story. Sometimes I am never satisfied no matter how much fiddling I do and it NEVER gets finished.

I have a hopping plot bunny but he's a bit hard to pin down at the moment :-)
Last edited by Wanderer on 18 Aug 2018, 14:15, edited 1 time in total.
(Raymond) "'It's the early bird that catches the worm, you know,'
'... Not always. Sometimes he catches a slug—in the back of the neck,' contradicted Biggles.
Wanderer
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Postby Fairblue » 16 Aug 2018, 13:44

It depends. I can be very haphazard, depending how much time I have available. It would probably drive you mad, Kismet. I start off with a very rough plot. Then, when putting pen to paper, It doesn't matter whether it's the beginning, the middle or the end, whatever is in my head, I write in draft, in red. Having got the draft down, (could be all or only part of the story) depending on my muse, I will go back and rewrite it, this time putting it in blue. New bits which are added are written in red so I can tell that bit needs attention. For the Challenge, where all chapters are posted at once, when everything had been put in order and been written in blue, I go through it again, turning it all to black when I'm satisfied that's what I want to say. Only when it's all in black, is it ready for posting. This way, I can see at a glance, which part of my writing needs attention and which parts are finished.

Not very orderly, but perfectly logical in my little world.
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby elderlyfemalerelativ » 16 Aug 2018, 15:40

I just start and then go on till I'm finished, more or less. (who needs plot, characterisation, dialogue)

Laurie Taylor used to be on the radio asking people to write a very short story incorporating various word he listed.. Mine got read out once, so I told my brother and the next time we both had ours read out.

(smug smile)
elderlyfemalerelativ
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Reading last: Benson's collected ghost stories
Reading now: Reading again the Patrick O'Brien sea stories
My top chap: Algy

Postby SopwithCamel » 16 Aug 2018, 17:47

I tend to start with a rough idea of what happens in the story and some good Algy lines I definitely want to incorporate (because what is a Biggles fanfic without a couple of good Algy lines? :shock: ) and then I write the whole thing through beginning to end. I can't write out of order. Well, okay, sometimes I may jot down a quick line or paragraph just so I don't forget it, but that's about it.

Thank goodness it's been raining for the past week. I may actually be able to do something about this challenge...or rejoin the human race on a semi-permanent basis :evil:
"Too true I did! What a wizard it was! I hooted like a coot in spite of the archie."
--Biggles Flies East

Updates on The Algy Chronicles: All Hallows' Eve posted.
SopwithCamel
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby kylie_koyote » 16 Aug 2018, 21:06

I write like a jigsaw puzzle. I usually write the intro scene and then the ending, and then work out what happens in the middle. I write down snippets of dialogue I don't want to forget, and I make sure to put it in a different color, so I know it's not part of the regular text. Then I fill in the gaps.

It drives me crazy, sometimes, and I have to re-read the whole thing from start to finish once I'm done, to make sure nothing's out of place and I haven't forgotten something important in the middle.
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Next

Return to Kismet's Writing Challenge VII