The Challenge!

Re: The Challenge!

Postby Tracer » 17 Aug 2018, 08:49

This is fascinating, and what a great idea to show the very different ways you all use to arrive at such sparkling stories! :thinking2:
pilots who had done a long tour and had that thousand-yard stare W. E. Johns
Tracer
Squadron leader
Squadron leader

Postby SopwithCamel » 17 Aug 2018, 18:41

What does one do if one has a story idea which is highly improbable and will most likely have wej turning in his grave...? :thinking2:
"Too true I did! What a wizard it was! I hooted like a coot in spite of the archie."
--Biggles Flies East

Updates on The Algy Chronicles: All Hallows' Eve posted.
SopwithCamel
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby Frecks » 17 Aug 2018, 18:42

Write it anyway :lol:
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

My top chap: Ginger
Starsign: Leo

Postby Fairblue » 17 Aug 2018, 18:53

SopwithCamel wrote:What does one do if one has a story idea which is highly improbable and will most likely have wej turning in his grave...? :thinking2:

Er......why are you asking, Soppy? You've already done it. :lol:
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Aircraft: Spitfire

Postby Frecks » 17 Aug 2018, 19:07

It begs the question what would have WEJ turning in his grave?
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Fairblue » 17 Aug 2018, 19:23

Frecks wrote:It begs the question what would have WEJ turning in his grave?

Some of the dreadful fanfic not on the forum. Ours are of the highest standard. 8-)
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Kismet » 17 Aug 2018, 20:35

SopwithCamel wrote:What does one do if one has a story idea which is highly improbable and will most likely have wej turning in his grave...? :thinking2:

Can't imagine you having an improbable idea, Soppy. Write it! It will be fun.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: fantasy on Kindle Unlimited
Reading now: Patricia Wentworth
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Postby SopwithCamel » 18 Aug 2018, 04:34

It's worse than Biggles Married. Much much worse. Couldn't be worse, in fact.

Fairblue wrote:
Frecks wrote:It begs the question what would have WEJ turning in his grave?

Some of the dreadful fanfic not on the forum. Ours are of the highest standard. 8-)

I note with some chagrin that Biggles Married is indeed, not on the forum...
"Too true I did! What a wizard it was! I hooted like a coot in spite of the archie."
--Biggles Flies East

SopwithCamel
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby Fairblue » 18 Aug 2018, 07:37

SopwithCamel wrote:It's worse than Biggles Married. Much much worse. Couldn't be worse, in fact.

Not canon, then?
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Frecks » 18 Aug 2018, 07:54

If fan fiction gets too far away from the original character it is just a story about someone with the same name as the original character. I hate A03 stories suggesting Biggles and Algy were gay - I think WEJ would have hated that idea.
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Tracer » 18 Aug 2018, 08:16

Frecks wrote:If fan fiction gets too far away from the original character it is just a story about someone with the same name as the original character. .

I agree. It isn't fan fiction then at all - just someone using the names to promote their own work, which they are possibly afraid won't stand up on its own. No danger of that here, where the fics I've read are true to genre and there have been times I suspect WEJ would have raised his hat to the dialogue.
Tracer
Squadron leader
Squadron leader

Postby SopwithCamel » 18 Aug 2018, 08:58

Fairblue wrote:
SopwithCamel wrote:It's worse than Biggles Married. Much much worse. Couldn't be worse, in fact.

Not canon, then?

On the contrary. Very canon.
--Biggles Flies East

SopwithCamel
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby Fairblue » 18 Aug 2018, 09:15

Fairblue wrote:

Not canon, then?

SopwithCamel wrote: On the contrary. Very canon.

I am now very, very intrigued.
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby SopwithCamel » 18 Aug 2018, 18:58

Tracer wrote:
Frecks wrote:If fan fiction gets too far away from the original character it is just a story about someone with the same name as the original character. .

I agree. It isn't fan fiction then at all - just someone using the names to promote their own work, which they are possibly afraid won't stand up on its own.

Some might consider it flattery, where the author is projecting his or her desires onto their favorite character. In general, though, I agree that there's not might fun with fanfics which are clearly not about the named characters. Spoils it a bit.

Fairblue wrote:I am now very, very intrigued.

So am I, to be honest, although I'm not entirely sure if it would be okay for public consumption, wild and insane as it is. I'm also not entirely sure how it relates to the title either.

Is it okay if we write a story that was inspired by the title but has little else to do with the title, Kismet?
--Biggles Flies East

SopwithCamel
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby Kismet » 18 Aug 2018, 19:35

SopwithCamel wrote:]So am I, to be honest, although I'm not entirely sure if it would be okay for public consumption, wild and insane as it is. I'm also not entirely sure how it relates to the title either.

Is it okay if we write a story that was inspired by the title but has little else to do with the title, Kismet?

I don't think anyone can do anymore than be inspired by a title, Soppy. No one's going to be judged on how closely they interpret it.

Wild and insane sounds good. I'm very fond of Biggles Gets Married, remember.

I like fan fiction which explores new situations for the characters rather than trying to imitate the original author exactly. Crossovers, modernisations, new endings. Bring 'em on!
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Fairblue » 18 Aug 2018, 21:33

Kismet wrote:[

I like fan fiction which explores new situations for the characters rather than trying to imitate the original author exactly. Crossovers, modernisations, new endings. Bring 'em on!

RPGs apart, I’m not very good at putting Biggles where WEJ wouldn’t. The plot bunnies who visiit me are very conservative, with only one or two wilder cousins muscling their way in very infrequently.
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Kismet » 18 Aug 2018, 22:47

Fairblue wrote:
Kismet wrote:[

RPGs apart, I’m not very good at putting Biggles where WEJ wouldn’t. The plot bunnies who visiit me are very conservative, with only one or two wilder cousins muscling their way in very infrequently.

That School fic which makes me smile whenever I think of it being one! And as for some of the things you come up with in the RPGs.....

I like variety. It's nice to read something with a plane and a plot. It's nice to read something with the evil Jane. I don't want anyone to think that their style of writing is less valid than another.Fan fiction isn't only writing a story as close to WEJ as possible. There are lots of things that can be done and they all have merit. The only rule for this Challenge is your offering must be family friendly. Otherwise, I don't mind how canon it is, although I, also, prefer my Biggles to behave recognisably as he negotiates his way through whatever situation he finds himself in.
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby Fairblue » 18 Aug 2018, 22:58

Kismet wrote:That School fic which makes me smile whenever I think of it being one! And as for some of the things you come up with in the RPGs.....

I suppose I’d better get around to finishing it.......one day! 8-)
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Kismet » 18 Aug 2018, 23:09

Fairblue wrote:
Kismet wrote:That School fic which makes me smile whenever I think of it being one! And as for some of the things you come up with in the RPGs.....

I suppose I’d better get around to finishing it.......one day! 8-)

I'll keep my fingers crossed. In the meantime, I hope that your plot bunnies are being docile and friendly and not transmogrifying into the White Rabbit.
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby SopwithCamel » 19 Aug 2018, 19:17

Kismet wrote:
SopwithCamel wrote:]So am I, to be honest, although I'm not entirely sure if it would be okay for public consumption, wild and insane as it is. I'm also not entirely sure how it relates to the title either.

I don't think anyone can do anymore than be inspired by a title, Soppy. No one's going to be judged on how closely they interpret it.

Wild and insane sounds good. I'm very fond of Biggles Gets Married, remember.

Right, I'm doing it.

On Kismet's head be it :twisted:
--Biggles Flies East

SopwithCamel
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby Kismet » 19 Aug 2018, 21:18

I don't mind taking the responsibility!
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Postby kylie_koyote » 21 Aug 2018, 11:16

I have been re-reading my grandfather's wartime memoirs to try and get some inspiration, but so far all of his adventures have been not-quite-family-friendly enough for a Biggles story. Funny tho. :lol:

Did the RAF have any equivalent morale-boosting touring group like Bob Hope and the USO? They visited my grandfather's unit in New Guinea in '44 or early '45, but he mostly noted that all the women were worried about was chipping their nails or the humidity ruining their hair - they were all hopeful that their association with Bob Hope would boost their show-biz careers and weren't concerned with much else and weren't much fun to talk to.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...

Postby Fairblue » 21 Aug 2018, 12:07

The British Forces had Ensa, KK. Entertainments National Service Association

Start here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enterta ... ssociation
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby Frecks » 21 Aug 2018, 12:55

Vera Lynn was one artiste who entertained the troops abroad and I think the Army put on a lot shows themselves as portrayed in the TV series It Ain't Half Hot Mum but I must admit I have never heard of any particular entertainment for the RAF. Of course Algy could play the piano and Algy and Bertie could both dance - perhaps they could dress up in drag and put on a performance?
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Fairblue » 21 Aug 2018, 13:00

There wasn't any particular entertainment put on soley for the RAF. ENSA covered all the Armed Forces. No doubt each unit would probably have put on their own entertainment if time and operations allowed, but that would be in addition to what ENSA might have provided.
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Postby kylie_koyote » 21 Aug 2018, 13:43

Thank you!

My grandfather's unit had a makeshift movie theater, both for educational/propaganda-type films and the occasional entertainment film. He writes that they knew there were Japanese soldiers in the jungle, and they would sneak up to watch the films, so they would occasionally spray the forest with bullets during the performance to discourage them from getting too close. (This would inevitably cause any visitors or new arrivals to completely lose the plot...)
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...

Postby Frecks » 21 Aug 2018, 16:26

I was forgetting that Bertie also played the guitar and Ginger had a mouth organ. They could have formed an entertainment troupe of their own :lol:
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby tiffinata » 22 Aug 2018, 04:59

take a look also at the Squadronaires (The Royal Air Force Dance Orchestra), made up at the time of serving members.
'....you cannot flout Nature with impunity. Treat Nature with respect, and she will tolerate you, even encourage you; but treat her with contempt, and your days are numbered.' Hits the Trail
tiffinata
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: probably something on facebook.
Reading now: about a dozen books at once.
Reading next: hmmm. too many to choose from. sigh.
Aircraft: Beaufighter and Pup.

Postby Frecks » 22 Aug 2018, 07:55

Well done Tiff - excellent find. I had not heard of them before. I was thinking about the Big Bands of the era Glen Miller etc. but I did not realise there were British bands as well. I hope we are giving KK some good ideas for her story.
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Tracer » 22 Aug 2018, 08:11

kylie_koyote wrote:Thank you!

My grandfather's unit had a makeshift movie theater, both for educational/propaganda-type films and the occasional entertainment film. He writes that they knew there were Japanese soldiers in the jungle, and they would sneak up to watch the films, so they would occasionally spray the forest with bullets during the performance to discourage them from getting too close. (This would inevitably cause any visitors or new arrivals to completely lose the plot...)

Oh that did make me laugh! :lol:
Tracer
Squadron leader
Squadron leader

PreviousNext

Return to Kismet's Writing Challenge VII