A dilemma poll

Vote or make your own!

If you had to be stuck in an elevator for 24 hours, which would you most willingly put up with?

Biggles and EVS, during the "Flies East" era.
25%
Biggles and Marie, when they were 19 and in love.
No votes
Bertie and Towser, with a hunting horn - and a harmonica.
35%
Ginger and Algy, bickering like brothers.
40%

Total votes : 20

A dilemma poll

Postby kylie_koyote » 17 Aug 2016, 20:11

This was Tommy's idea, so to him goes the credit and the blame.

Also, it's been quiet today, and we need something to inspire discussion. So... discuss.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger
Aircraft: Spitfire

Re: A dilemma poll

Postby Fairblue » 17 Aug 2016, 20:22

This requires a lot of thought, KK. My first instincts were to go for Bertie :love: but the hunting horn would be a problem, Definitely NOT Biggles and Marie :sick:. Ginger and Algy bickering...no. I'd want to sock them both. So for me I think it would have to be Biggles and EVS. I imagine there would at least be the chance for intelligent conversation to while away the time. Plus, they would probably put aside their differences to try and find a way out of the lift.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Starsign: Leo

Postby SopwithCamel » 17 Aug 2016, 20:24

Well, that wasn't difficult at all :love:

I'd be happy to have Ginger around if it meant getting Algy.

And Biggles and Marie. Ugh. No. Just..no. :o
"Too true I did! What a wizard it was! I hooted like a coot in spite of the archie."
--Biggles Flies East

Updates on The Algy Chronicles: All Hallows' Eve posted.
SopwithCamel
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby kylie_koyote » 17 Aug 2016, 20:26

Fairblue wrote:This requires a lot of thought, KK. My first instincts were to go for Bertie :love: but the hunting horn would be a problem. Definitely NOT Biggles and Marie :sick:. Ginger and Algy bickering...no. I'd want to sock them both. So for me I think it would have to be Biggles and EVS. I imagine there would at least be the chance for intelligent conversation to while away the time. Plus, they would probably put aside their differences to try and find a way out of the lift.

On the downside, they might also try to kill one another, so it's a toss up.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby Kismet » 17 Aug 2016, 21:44

There's not a good option here, Kylie.

Definitely no to Biggles and Marie. I've had a pair of lovesick teenagers around for the last three years, so been there, done that, bought the T shirt, don't need to be stuck in a lift with two more.

Ditto no to a teenage Biggles and EVS. Again, I have a boy of my own of that age around and I know perfectly well, that whilst EVS might manage to make conversation in a reasonable manner, Biggles will only be able to tell me about the performance of his camel and the latest machine gun.

Ginger and Algy bickering. Well, I've had lots of practice at tuning sqabbles out but I'd rather not be stuck in the lift with a bickering pair.

Which leaves my best option as Bertie with a hunting horn and harmonica. I expect I could intimidate him into playing neither.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: fantasy on Kindle Unlimited
Reading now: Patricia Wentworth
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Postby Tommy Smith » 17 Aug 2016, 22:40

Fraid I've gone Bertie as well. I had though it would be Biggles and Marie post break up though.... that would have been an atmosphere...
"Spare my days! Who wants to be true to life? Why read about what you can see going on around you any day of the week?"
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Spitfire Girl 1 » 17 Aug 2016, 22:46

Well, if I'm stuck in a lift it has to be with Biggles, that goes without saying, surely! :love: (I'm really not that fond of lifts, and if I was stuck in one, being with Biggles is the only thing that would stop me completely losing my head :oops: Within 5 minutes I'd probably be bickering or wanting to knock heads together with Algy and Ginger, and Bertie and I would never agree on the same tune - he'd be playing and I'd be singing something different and we would both end up deafened. )
It would have to be the EVS option though, ('cause I'm not sharing him with Marie :lol: ) - because, like Fairblue, I think they might work together and I'd like to see how that unfolded. Or would they sit there and toss sarcastic comments back and forth? I do believe they would suspend hostilities temporarily (trying to shoot someone in such a confined space sounds dangerous, especially when there is an innocent victim ;) in there with them. I would be concerned about the dangers of passive smoke inhalation though - death by asphyxiation might be a greater risk.
Sorry to disagree with you Kismet, but I think even a young Biggles' conversation would be interesting, I'd happily listen to tales of life in India, or what it's really like to fly a camel...

I really wonder if Biggles would let himself be stuck in a lift for so long anyway! What's young Algy doing letting that happen and not doing a thing about it?

(Of course, if I had a free choice it would be squadron leader Bigglesworth)
"Oh, Great Scott, this has got me beaten to a frazzle."
Spitfire Girl 1
Pilot officer
Pilot officer

Reading last: Spitfire parade
Reading now: Biggles and the black peril
Reading next: Something college related (honest)
My top chap: Biggles, my first hero...
Aircraft: Sopwith Camel / Spitfire

Postby 266 » 18 Aug 2016, 00:55

Ginger and Algy...it might be a bit tiresome, but I might also learn a bit more about their otherwise vague and unsatisfying histories.
Zorotov: "We shall meet again."
Biggles: "If we do, the pleasure will be all yours."
Flying officer
Flying officer

Reading last: Biggles in the Underworld
Reading now: Classic Wings
Reading next: War of the Worlds
My top chap: WEJ - the founder of the feast
Aircraft: Concorde
Random: Ahhh....de Havilland....

Postby Wanderer » 18 Aug 2016, 02:34

266 wrote:Ginger and Algy...it might be a bit tiresome, but I might also learn a bit more about their otherwise vague and unsatisfying histories.

Its an ugly set of options, but I think this is the best of a bad bunch, and for this very reason :-)

I could think of nothing worse than being stuck in an elevator with a small dog for 24 hours. Just think about it... Actually Bertie sans Towser would probably be the most pleasant way to while away 24 hours: an interesting back story, too, with none of Algy's irascibility or Ginger's restlessness.
(Raymond) "'It's the early bird that catches the worm, you know,'
'... Not always. Sometimes he catches a slug—in the back of the neck,' contradicted Biggles.
Wanderer
Flight lieutenant
Flight lieutenant

Postby Tommy Smith » 18 Aug 2016, 05:09

The smoking situation would be pretty dire... Algy smokes even more than Biggles, all of them hate being cooped up. It rules Biggles and Von S out as between them they would have twice as many cigarettes, although working together they might indeed get out earlier...
"Spare my days! Who wants to be true to life? Why read about what you can see going on around you any day of the week?"
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Frecks » 18 Aug 2016, 08:16

Well there is not a cheerful option among them KK :? I have voted for Algy and Ginger bickering as it is the only option which includes Ginger. It would be very embarrassing listening to Biggles and Marie being all lovey dovey - especially if the dreadful dialogue in the original story was an example of their love making :lol: I am not being stuck in a lift with a fox terrier dog - I used to own one and it was very lively and barked constantly so much though I love Bertie Towser, a hunting horn and a harmonica is a definite no no. I always enjoy the cross talk between Biggles and EVS but not in an enclosed space especially if it was pre Buries A Hatchet. My ideal would be Bertie and Ginger because I love their arguments and the time would fly by.
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Tracer » 18 Aug 2016, 08:51

I'd be perfectly at home with Bertie, Towser and the hunting horn. I might have to confiscate the harmonica, though. Although there is time for Bertie to teach me how to play it, or he could play it and I could sing along. Some of my Father's Music Hall and Army ditties spring to mind..... :lol:

Towser could howl along if he wanted.

We'd never notice the time passing.
pilots who had done a long tour and had that thousand-yard stare W. E. Johns
Tracer
Squadron leader
Squadron leader

Postby kylie_koyote » 18 Aug 2016, 11:22

266 wrote:Ginger and Algy...it might be a bit tiresome, but I might also learn a bit more about their otherwise vague and unsatisfying histories.

This was my reasoning as well.

I'd prefer not to be stuck anywhere without a bathroom for very long, but they are inventive and clever chaps and they'd figure out something.
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby Frecks » 18 Aug 2016, 13:31

They would have to be very resourceful to solve that problem KK :lol:
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby SopwithCamel » 18 Aug 2016, 15:52

with none of Algy's irascibility

WHAT??? :evil: :kill: :lol:

The smoking situation would be pretty dire... Algy smokes even more than Biggles, all of them hate being cooped up.

I doubt really that any of them would smoke in a confined space :shock:

Although maybe they need the smell to survive, rather like a kid with a blankie...

It would be interesting to see just how irritable they get after 4-5 hours of no smoking. :twisted:
"Too true I did! What a wizard it was! I hooted like a coot in spite of the archie."
--Biggles Flies East

Updates on The Algy Chronicles: All Hallows' Eve posted.
SopwithCamel
Site Orderly
Site Orderly

Postby Frecks » 18 Aug 2016, 19:02

I notice nobody has voted for Biggles and Marie :lol:
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Spitfire Girl 1 » 18 Aug 2016, 21:44

Frecks wrote:I notice nobody has voted for Biggles and Marie :lol:

There are just some situations you DON'T get involved in!

I did think that whilst I was stuck there with Biggles and EVS I might just drop a few gentle warnings about young women called Marie living in farmhouses close to the front, and stress the absolute importance of ladies who know the difference between a pup, a camel, and an SE5... and who like to talk about aeroplanes.

(Maybe not such gentle warnings, actually.)

Now all I need to do is work out how to distract Erich so I can have a VERY important discussion with Biggles.
Perhaps I'll suggest he tries to climb the lift cables (kinder than hitting him over the head with the spanner I just happen to be carrying- I'm against violence unless absolutely necessary). Then of course, Biggles stays put, keeping me calm.
How to do that without sounding like a wimp :oops: Drat, need to think this through further. Biggles is not going to take me seriously if I panic too much, is he!
Okay, it's official, I'm lost in my own little Bigglesverse aren't I.
Spitfire Girl 1
Pilot officer
Pilot officer

Postby kylie_koyote » 18 Aug 2016, 21:46

Frecks wrote:I notice nobody has voted for Biggles and Marie :lol:

Let's just leave them alone, shall we?
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby kylie_koyote » 18 Aug 2016, 21:46

Spitfire Girl 1 wrote:
I did think that whilst I was stuck there with Biggles and EVS I might just drop a few gentle warnings about young women called Marie living in farmhouses close to the front, and stress the absolute importance of ladies who know the difference between a pup, a camel, and an SE5... and who like to talk about aeroplanes.

Hmmm... are you sure about that, in a confined space with the both of them?

Could be dangerous. Just sayin'.
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Postby Spitfire Girl 1 » 18 Aug 2016, 21:59

Well, I am armed with a spanner, and I'll use it if absolutely necessary, :twisted: (but only on EVS, of course). Some things are worth the risk!
Spitfire Girl 1
Pilot officer
Pilot officer

Postby Spitfire Girl 1 » 19 Aug 2016, 09:53

You know, I had it all worked out.

Armed with a flask of brandy laced with sleeping pills, I offered it to EVS and that knocked him out within half an hour (though he did have a tendency to snore!) We propped him up in a corner and got ourselves as comfortable as we could, once we had firmly established there was no means of escape that we could effect ourselves.
So there I was, alone with Biggles, just about to have that VERY IMPORTANT conversation - and I couldn't do it. :shock:
Everyone should have the chance to fall in love at least once - even if it is with the wrong person. Plus the 'incident' helped to make Biggles who he was.

:abroken:

I've changed my mind - I'll take Algy and Ginger and join in the bickering. After all, if it all gets too much, I can always avail myself of the flask of doped brandy and go to sleep!
Spitfire Girl 1
Pilot officer
Pilot officer

Postby Tracer » 19 Aug 2016, 09:55

I'll distract Erich, SG. We will chat about his homeland, duelling, hounds and horses. 8-) I'll let him teach me some Prussian folk songs. You and Biggles will have a clear run.
pilots who had done a long tour and had that thousand-yard stare W. E. Johns
Tracer
Squadron leader
Squadron leader

Postby Spitfire Girl 1 » 19 Aug 2016, 09:59

Tracer wrote:I'll distract Erich, SG. We will chat about his homeland, duelling, hounds and horses. 8-) I'll let him teach me some Prussian folk songs. You and Biggles will have a clear run.

:D :lol: You're on!
Spitfire Girl 1
Pilot officer
Pilot officer

Postby Frecks » 19 Aug 2016, 11:05

Yes that sound like a good plan ;) I would be very interested to see what plans Ginger comes up with to get out of the lift.
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Tommy Smith » 19 Aug 2016, 15:56

Well at this rate there will be so many of you in the lift with them you will be able to form a human pyramid and reach the door on the floor above....
Tommy Smith
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby Kismet » 19 Aug 2016, 17:05

Wanderer wrote:I could think of nothing worse than being stuck in an elevator with a small dog for 24 hours. Just think about it... Actually Bertie sans Towser would probably be the most pleasant way to while away 24 hours: an interesting back story, too, with none of Algy's irascibility or Ginger's restlessness.

I have, indeed, been thinking about this, and I think the only solution would be to stuff Towser out of the lift. Perhaps the lift could be stuck in such a manner that there was a small crack at the top, level with the floor, which a small dog would fit through but not a person, even if they are tall and thin. The harmonica and hunting horn could also be stuffed through this small opening, thus turning my lift experience with Bertie into something quite pleasant for the first while.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: fantasy on Kindle Unlimited
Reading now: Patricia Wentworth
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Postby tiffinata » 19 Aug 2016, 23:04

Offer to boost Marie out through the escape hatch, leaving one alone with Biggles?
'....you cannot flout Nature with impunity. Treat Nature with respect, and she will tolerate you, even encourage you; but treat her with contempt, and your days are numbered.' Hits the Trail
tiffinata
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: probably something on facebook.
Reading now: about a dozen books at once.
Reading next: hmmm. too many to choose from. sigh.
Aircraft: Beaufighter and Pup.

Postby Frecks » 20 Aug 2016, 11:30

That is a good idea Tiff :lol:
Frecks
Wing commander
Wing commander

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 03 Aug 2017, 08:43

I keep discovering things that I missed last year!! :oops:

Interesting options you have given here, k_k. The 19 year old Biggles with Marie was never in the race - no way would I choose to be stuck in a lift for 24 hours with her, let alone having to grit my teeth watching a teenage Biggles moon about Marie and his magneto!!!! (Besides, I just wouldn't want to share him :twisted: ). Bertie was an interesting option, but I'm not sure if I'd last the distance if he had his hunting horn in his jacket pocket. So I gave serious thought to the Ginger and Algy scenario. It was tempting, as it could be amusing - for a while... but I'm not sure if I'd survive 24 hours :roll: Sooo...the remaining choice is Biggles and EVS circa Flies East. Now that could be very interesting and enlightening. But do you think they'd survive one another's company for 24 hours? Anyway, that's the one I chose.
RAAF Spitfire Girl
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: The Corners of the Globe (Robert Goddard)
Reading now: Enemy Coast Ahead
Reading next: Still a Tough decision!!
My top chap: Biggles, Biggles, and Biggles
Random: Walking Hadrian's Wall May 2017

Postby tiffinata » 03 Aug 2017, 09:59

Playing gooseberry to a pair of young lovers is not my thing either, RSG.
'....you cannot flout Nature with impunity. Treat Nature with respect, and she will tolerate you, even encourage you; but treat her with contempt, and your days are numbered.' Hits the Trail
tiffinata
Wing commander
Wing commander

Reading last: probably something on facebook.
Reading now: about a dozen books at once.
Reading next: hmmm. too many to choose from. sigh.
Aircraft: Beaufighter and Pup.

Next

Return to Polls