WEJ military records

WWI related topics

WEJ military records

Postby kylie_koyote » 21 Sep 2018, 18:22

I found these on a military records site called Fold3.com (sister site to Ancestry.com) that has records that you can filter by conflict and country. I clicked off WW1 and UK and put in William Earl Johns and the following popped up.

I cannot vouch for the accuracy of these and if they are our WEJ, but I thought I'd post snapshots of them for you to enjoy. If you zoom way, way in, you can make out some handwriting. Some of them are very heavily damaged and/or the ink has faded. Some of them may belong to a William Edgar Johns, who turned up in some of my searches as well, although I've done my best to filter him out.

"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger
Aircraft: Spitfire

Re: WEJ military records

Postby Fairblue » 21 Sep 2018, 18:58

Very interesting, KK. The second photo of a letter I think we can safely say was our WEJ, who we know was in 55 Sqn. The letter had been posted to him on 12th September. On the 16th September he was taken prisoner. The official stamp which states 'Next of King Officially Informed' more than likely refers to that, and to inform whoever that the letter could be returned to them without causing distress.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Starsign: Leo

Postby kylie_koyote » 21 Sep 2018, 19:01

Didn't they think he was dead? There was something in the biography (it's at home and I can't check at the moment) about his turning up and scaring the housemaid so badly that she dropped a pot of soup.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."
kylie_koyote
Air commodore
Air commodore

Reading last: Tumult in the Clouds
Reading now: Time & Chance
Reading next: so many choices...
My top chap: Ginger

Postby Fairblue » 21 Sep 2018, 19:08

kylie_koyote wrote:Didn't they think he was dead? There was something in the biography (it's at home and I can't check at the moment) about his turning up and scaring the housemaid so badly that she dropped a pot of soup.

I don't know. I've not heard that one, but it could be true, given the confusion which would have reigned at the time.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes
Fairblue
Air marshal
Air marshal

Reading now: War in a Stringbag - Charles Lamb
Reading next: Depends on my mood
My top chap: Bertie - who else?
Starsign: Leo

Postby Kismet » 21 Sep 2018, 21:24

Fascinating to see these. It's amazing that they've survived and a pity they haven't survived in just slightly better condition.
'Major Bigglesworth' said Von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'
Kismet
Air vice marshal
Air vice marshal

Reading last: fantasy on Kindle Unlimited
Reading now: Patricia Wentworth
My top chap: Biggles
Starsign: Capricorn

Return to World War I